MISS VAIN's Reviews > Anna Dressed in Blood

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: series-that-i-m-obsessed-with, kendare-blake
Recommended for: Fans of Beautiful Creatures
Read from September 03 to 04, 2011

The city smells of smoke and things that rot in the summer. I think of her again. Anna. Anna Dressed in Blood.

I wonder what tricks she'll try.

I wonder if she'll be clever.

Will she float?

Will she laugh or scream?

How will she try to kill me?

This gothic ghost story is Eery, and Spooky, and Romantic, and Heartbreaking. All I can think about is how Kendare Blake is going to fulfill my expectations in the sequel Girl of Nightmares.

I adored Cas,he was irresistible, smart, witty, confident, and EXTREMELY charming. It's not often I find the luxury to read a great book in the POV of a male character, and since I'm a fan of Ethan Waite from Beautiful Creatures I found myself counting the days until I could devour myself into this chilling ghost story.

Thesius Casio Lowood but more favorably known as Cas has inherited his fathers skills of killing the dead along with his athame; a knife tied to his blood primarily used for killing the dead.

I know that sounds a bit odd, how does he kill a ghost if they're already dead?
Well apparently some ghosts are oblivious to fact that they truly are dead, and often they stay in the place of their death, overwhelmed with the rage of their murder's bloodlust encouraging them to kill innocent people against their will.

Cas travels across the world with his fathers athame, his mother and her cat in the hopes of saving lives by killing the dead. He's a high school senior by day and ghost killer by night. Since his fathers death ten years ago he has studied and prepared himself for his most important ghost killing ever; his fathers killer. However before he attempts to avenge his fathers murder he must kill Anna. Anna Dressed in Blood will be his most prolific kill yet, and Cas knows that if he can kill Anna he can kill anything.

Beautiful Anna in the white dress that constantly drips blood was murdered in 1958 and since that date she has murdered every person that has even attempted to step foot in her deserted Victorian House she was murdered in. "But she, for whatever reason, spares his life."

"I wish you would leave," she says softly, and when she looks up I see that she's almost crying.

"You know I can't," I say, mirroring her words from moments ago.

"You make me want things that I can't have."

Cas gains two unlikely friends that prove to be loyal and dependable. Beautiful Carmel is the teachers pet, the homecoming queen, and party central all wrapped into one. Originally Cas befriended her on the first day of school because she would know all the Anna gossip he was eager to learn in preparation of killing Anna. Charismatic and intoxicatingly smooth Cas finds it easy to make friends with popular females. Along the way Carmel and Cas become true friends and gather support from one another while maintaining the Common goal of killing Anna.

Thomas eager to seek a friendship with Cas is his complete opposite with his black-rimmed glasses, ragged black hair and skinny lanky body. Together these three form an unlikely team of teenage ghost hunters or against Cas' wishes present day GhostBusters. Kendare Blake took me along a spooky ride that I didn't ever want to get off. Anna's horrific, devastating Bloody, Graphic, Scary death is revealed in this book and upon this revelation her fate takes a turn in an unexpected direction. I couldn't help but fall in love with Cas and Anna's story as it unravelled.

"Don't go," I say.

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Don't go, ever," I tease,

This Spellbinding romantic horror story captivated me from beginning to chilling end.

"I don't regret this."

Like what you see here, check out more of my reviews at http://missvainsparanormalfantasy.com/
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Dressed in Blood.

Quotes MISS VAIN Liked

Kendare Blake
“You make me want things I can't have.”

Kendare Blake
“But hey, at least we’ll have this strange story to tell, love and death and blood and daddy-issues. And holy crap, I’m a psychiatrist’s wet dream.”
tags: cas

Kendare Blake
“Girls, on the other hand, have always come easy. I don't know why that is, exactly. Maybe it's the outsider vibe and a well-placed brooding look. Maybe it's something I think I see sometimes in the mirror, something that reminds me of my father. Or maybe I'm just damn easy on the eyes.”

09/04/2011 page 46
15.0% "Only the dickiest of dicks would refuse to shake my hand. And I have just met the dickiest of dicks." 2 comments

Dija Great review, Miss V! I hope I enjoy this book as much as you did. :D

MISS VAIN Dija-Thank you :). I liked it. Had it been faster paced it would have been 5 stars for me but since it was a YA book it read easy and quick. I hope you enjoy it too!!!

Lexxie I totally loved this as well - so well written!

MISS VAIN Linda-I know isn't Anna and Cas great!?!

Samina ~ Escapism~ Ok, If this has got romance in it, this will be complete.

Lexxie Miss V, yes, Anna and Cas was just amazing. And I look forward to the next book! It was so creepy in an awesome way :D

MISS VAIN Samina-It has plenty of romance in it. The kind that is sweet and adorable and gives you butterflies.

MISS VAIN Linda-Have you seen the cover of The Girl Of Nightmares? It's really pretty, and red. Check it out. :)

Samina ~ Escapism~ ok, I like butterflies.

Now I am totally excited about his book.There goes my TBR list again.I keep adding things on to it.

MISS VAIN Well it's always great to have options. ;)))

Samina ~ Escapism~ Options! If I actaully start piling up the books on my TBR it would be taller than the building I live in.

message 12: by Lexxie (last edited Oct 23, 2011 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lexxie Miss V, no I haven't, but I'm going to the author's page to check it out right now!

edited to say: WOW, it is amazing - now I'm even more impatient :)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Just finished! This really was amazing!!! I want more than 2012 for the next release date!

MISS VAIN I know Linda, it is amazing!!!!! ;)

Christen, glad you loved it. I know I wish we had an exact release date already! I tell ya, I have the best luck because I always read the best YA.:)

MISS VAIN Christen-Didn't you just love Cas and Anna??

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* I did. I especially liked Cas. I haven't ever read a book from a male perspective that I liked so much. Kendare Blake is an awesome author and I really love the way she writes!!!

MISS VAIN I have read one another book I loved from a male perspective and that's the reason I originally planned to read it. I even mentioned him in my review of this one. Great book!

Samina ~ Escapism~ I am reading this book which keeps on changing it's POV, sometimes it is from the Girl's perspective sometimes the Guy's.It is sort of disorientating at times.

MISS VAIN Well fortunately this book does notchange POV. It stays in the POV of Cas. He's fantastic.

Jamie It was a good story to read leading up to Halloween. It definitely has a ghostly, eerie, creepy vibe. And it was more gory than I thought it would be.

As far of changing POV, I love that. Always have. It's very interesting to me to see the other side of the story from a different character's perspective.

MISS VAIN I'm glad you enjoyed it Jamie. It sure did have a creepy vibe, perfect for Halloween. Oh I know since I read it the same day it was released I didn't know anyone that had read it, and so I wasn't expecting so much gore but I loved it. ;)

Samina ~ Escapism~ you will like it then Jamie.Its is called Dearly Departed.The book was alright but it had 5 diffrent POVs. So it got a bit annoying at the end but it all turned out ok.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Samina I'm starting DD soon (only read about two pages so far). Did you like it?

Samina ~ Escapism~ It was alright Chirsten....I think I did write a review for it.I did sort of enjoyed it in some regards but it had the potential to be so much more.

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kennedy is this alot like beautiful creatures? or is it better romance?

MISS VAIN Amanda, the romance in Anna Dressed in Blood and Beautiful Creatures is similar because they're both told from a similar in character make. I would say the romance is on the same level, however I love everything about Beautiful Creatures but it's been about 2 years since I've read it so I'm a but sketchy on the details. :)

Cas reminds me of Ethan A LOT though.;)

Annie Brewer Hmmm wow great review Miss Vain!!! I really want to read this but I worry its too scary!!

MISS VAIN Haha! Thanks Annie. It's not too scary, promise but it was really good!!

If you want to read a very good but very scary adult paranormal romance novel that I loved even more than this one

The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens

Samina ~ Escapism~ Godd, I completly forgot about this one. Gosh I need to read this and read the rest of the series. Damn it! i wish I had more time.

MISS VAIN You talking about The Restorer??? Amazing series!!! Loved all 3 books.

Annie Brewer Thank you girl!! I will give Anna a shot! The other one I will look up too! :)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Yeah The Restorer.I know this book is quite creepy but as the Byfriend is back I can read this, hopefully soon.

MISS VAIN Yes do give them both a shot Annie!!;)

Yes, Samina now that your bf is back, read it!! Besides that even if he's not you still have Kenny to protect you!;)