UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Pride & Passion

Pride & Passion by Charlotte Featherstone

“BEYOND THE MIST, the darkness and shadow, he waits, reaching out through a veil of gossamer threads—‘your future,’ he whispers, ‘your destiny.’”
There really is something magical about Charlotte Featherstone’s writing. Her stories are truly romantic, erotic, passionate, exciting…and definitely captivating. I find myself feeling as though I’ve been swept away to another time and place, and once I’m there, I never want to leave. Her characters are exciting, complex people whose stories I can’t wait to learn - people who I care about and cheer for.

Pride & Passion is the second book in the Brethren Guardians series, continuing mere weeks after book one, Seduction & Scandal ends, and we follow Adrian, Black and Alynwick as the need to find the villain known as Orpheus reaches a near fevered pitch. Kidnapping, threats and murder… Orpheus will stop at nothing to bring down the Brethren!

I absolutely adore Adrian, the Duke of Sussex. I found him to be both physically and mentally strong, mysterious and oh, so very sexy.
“I haven’t forgotten the chalice. I would take care to fill it,” he whispered wickedly, “to put my lips to it and savor what flows from it.”

It aroused her, at the same time it made her laugh. “That is a very naughty analogy, your grace.”

“I’m a gutter rat,” he whispered against her lips.“We’re known to be crass and licentious. Shall I show you?”
Indeed, there’s nothing like a tortured hero with a hidden past to get me all tingly, and Adrian is definitely that! From the first page to the last, I couldn’t get enough of him and would gladly bring him home and love him until his painful past is forgotten.

Lucy, on the other hand, is a heroine that I just couldn’t connect with, and it took me some time to get into the story because of her.
She was afraid. So damn afraid of the feelings inside her. Conflicting thoughts and emotions. Passion. That was all she had wanted. But this… What she was feeling had nothing to do with passion, and she wanted to run from it, to hide behind the veneer she had erected.

Empty, soulless creature. You want only passion because it’s all you can feel. Because it makes you forget that inside you there is nothing.
In Seduction & Scandal, I found her to be annoyingly selfish and immature, and in fact, I didn’t like her then, and I'm only slightly fonder of her now. Her seemingly haughty behavior kept me from being pulled in right away and it wasn’t until the final chapters of this book that she had a sudden transformation which, in the context of the story was okay, but for me, it came too late. For Pride & Passion to have been a solid 5 star read, I needed this to happen much sooner than it did so that I could have had more time to adjust to and accept the “new and improved” Lucy. But still, since Adrian is perfection incarnate, and his choice is Lucy, how can I possibly hold a grudge against her?

The bottom line - While there were a few moments that had me feeling like I had missed something somewhere, overall Pride & Passion is a very sexy, emotional, exciting story that had me on the edge of my seat and dying for the next installment! I don’t often read books with cliffhangers, so I don’t know how you people do it! What do you do to make the time pass faster? I need to know!!

Pride & Passion was provided by netgalley.com in behalf of the publisher, HQN Books.This had no influence on my rating or my review.

4.5/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride & Passion.

10/02/2011

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-45 of 45) </span> <span class="smallText">(45 new)</span>

Laura You got it?!!? I am soooo envious right now!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yes, from netgalley :) I LOVE this series!

Laura I read this a few weeks ago and you will not be disappointed!!! Wonderful!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Is it better than book 1? That one was really good but more stressful! LOL!!

Mrs. Badass it's really good and way better than book 1 imho

Laura You gals are so lucky!! I will continue to wait...I guess... lol

Laura I thought it was better, too. The tension/chemistry between Adrian and Lucy is scorching and Charlotte Featherstone tells their story beautifully. One of the best books I've read!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Awesome, thank you, Laura! I'm excited to read it after reading your and Erika's comments!

Laura That's awesome Laura,I actually thought it wouldn't be as good, glad to hear differently.

Poetry to Prose omg, I'm excited to have a copy of this. <3

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish OOOh, I hope you love it!!!!!!! I just adore Charlotte's writing!

Laura Fabulous Review! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I couldn't agree more with your description of Adrian! :)

Lauren Just added the first book to my TBR. Thanks for the review.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Laura! Yes, Adrian is... ooooh, to die for!!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lauren, I can't wait to hear what you think of Seduction & Scandal, and then hopefully you'll love it enough to want to read this book, too!

Alycia Can't wait to read this one! Loved your honest review :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Alycia! :) I hope you love it, too. Adrian is so amazing. I loved him in the last book, but now... wow. I can see myself becoming a character stalker ;)

Alycia Lol! I know what you mean. Now if only we knew the release date for Alynwick. And I'd love some more dark feys. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I was just thinking about that! I LOVED Lust, and I can't wait for the next one! I'm not a fan of fantasy, but she hooked me with the Sins and Virtues series because I love the good vs. evil. That balance... it's so, so compelling.

Alycia UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I was just thinking about that! I LOVED Lust, and I can't wait for the next one! I'm not a fan of fantasy, but she hooked me with the Sins and Virtues series because I love the good vs. evil. That ..."

Lust was one of my favorites of Charlotte's to date. I hope we get book 2 soon.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Alycia wrote: "Lust was one of my favorites "

Yes, mine too! I can't wait... *sigh*

Alycia Exactly... *sigh*

Laura Thanks for your review Dhes!! I think I will have the same issues with Lucy that you had, but am definitely still eagerly awaiting this book. I agree on not being very into reading fantasy novels, but it's Charlotte Featherstone for Pete's sake! I will read anything she writes!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're welcome, Laura. I hope you love it, despite Lucy :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ooooh, look what I added today!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren Thats great!
I love the covers of this series.

message 27: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Another great review Dhes! Loving this quote:

I love a tortured hero :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I do too! And that quote has quite a bit of meaning behind it. ;)

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Great review, Dhes!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Carol!

message 31: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Love your review and quotes, Dhes!

message 33: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Great review, Dhes!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Susanne wrote: "Great review, Dhes!"

Thanks, Susanne!

message 35: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Another wonderful review, Dhes. Man-oh-man! I have this one on audio; I need to get to it.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lisa Kay wrote: "Another wonderful review, Dhes. Man-oh-man! I have this one on audio; I need to get to it."

Thank you, Lisa Kay! I signed up for audible.com. I'm hoping to get some great books to listen to.

message 37: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review Dhes!!:))

message 39: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay UniquelyMoi *I'm Still Dhes* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Thank you, Lisa Kay! I signed up for audible.com. I'm hoping to get some great books..."

You did! Neat. You have to pick a good narrator, though, especially when you first start out. It is imperative.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm thinking of all the series I haven't read yet. The things I own in paperback but can't easily read because of my eyesight...

Can you recall anything we've talked about? I think..

Night Huntress
the Charlie Davidson series

message 41: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Not everyone likes the narrator for the Night Huntress series. She does Bones' voice falsetto-like. I would listen to a sample first. Plus, there are tons of those at most major libraries.

The narrator for Charlie Davidson series is quite good; one of my favs: Lorelei King. But she does the Mercy Thompson series, too, and I have it in my head that she is Mercy... so I don't like the CD series as much. LOL! If that makes sense.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I just need to suck it up and decide, then ask and see if the narrator is good. For example, I don't like the narrator for the BDB.

message 43: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Yeah, he's not one of my favs, either. Some people like him, though. And sometimes a narrator is good, but they can't do Romance. Romance is tricky; at least for me. Not everyone can read me an intimate sex/love scene.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Like Gilbert Gotfried reading Fifty Shades? ;)

message 45: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay FOFLMBO! Yeah, like that.