Tiny Pants's Reviews > Cruel Love

1381942
Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: fiction, series, young-adult
Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I know, had to block for spoilers again, 'cause come on, how can you talk about a series ending and do it completely safely, without giving anything away? It's impossible. In any event. This one was just okay for me. I had already said with the last book that I really wasn't sure how Scott/"Brian" was going to end the series, and that there just didn't seem a good way to do it that would be satisfying.

And indeed, that's more or less what happened. I was really hoping for a lot more of things unraveling, other people figuring things out (I mean her body count's really getting up there!), and lots of good, thrilling tension. Instead, things are pretty good for Ariana. She's more or less living her dream... until she's not. And the weird thing is, you're like rooting for her the whole time, even though she is a psychopath.

One minor thing that bugged me here was how much the world of Private started to push in on things, Private now being dead to me thanks to the whole "we're all witches" plot twist. But also that it was hard to keep track of the chronology of Private versus Privilege, and being a YA nerd, that kind of stuff is kind of a big deal to me. I want it all to be one fictive world that makes sense!

The other elements that weakened this book for me were the usual cliches (lots of shoulders coiling), including male characters acting just irrationally, a la Josh Hollis in Private. Palmer appears to have had a personality transplant in this book. I feel like if they'd let it go for even one more book, they could've done something cool with him figuring her out (since he actually comes the closest of any of the APH kids to knowing her real deal). I'm rambling and more disorganized than I usually am here, but that was in the end what I really wanted to see -- all the APH kids realizing that they had actually had a psychopath, or wait no, two psychopaths living in their midsts, killing their friends, etc., and there they'd been like, going shopping with them and inducting them into their secret societies and whatnot.

But ohh... now this means another series is dead and gone. I might have to buckle and read the last two Private books (Ominous and the one coming out in September) just to have something non-academic to read. But I don't want to read about witches!! Wahhh! Okay, this means I definitely need to get the new Pretty Little Liars -- thank you ABC Family for inadvertently reviving my favorite (book) series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cruel Love.