Kay's Reviews > Invisible Man

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Mar 19, 08

Read in May, 1979

Full disclosure: I wrote my master's thesis on Ellison's novel because I thought the first time that I read it that it is one of the most significant pieces of literature from the 20th century. Now that I teach it in my AP English class, I've reread it many times, and I'm more convinced than ever that if you are only going to read one book in your life, it should be this one. The unnamed protagonist re-enacts the diaspora of African-Americans from the South to the North--and the surreal experience of racism, rage, and manipulation rarely expressed with such force and eloquence. Ellison follows tried and true patterns from dramatic ritual to spell out his invisible man's journey from cocksure teenager to furious refugee hiding out in a basement in Harlem. The last lines of the book are haunting and almost hopeful through the despair.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gregory Rothbard The last words also circle back to the opening of the book... it is a full circle turn that continues and continues and continues if the reader desires to do so.

Frank I loved the book for so many reasons, but I don't understand why Ralph made the main character live in that basement at the end of the book. I wanted to see him doing something amazing.

Judy Beautiful review. I read the book a few years before you (happy to see someone else read it way back, still feels the impact, and much more...).

message 4: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Hope I read this book at the she of 16. I was awakened to say the least. I am about to read it again.