Mark's Reviews > All Your Base Are Belong to Us: How Fifty Years of Videogames Conquered Pop Culture

All Your Base Are Belong to Us by Harold Goldberg

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: educational, historical, informative
Read from July 02 to 11, 2011

In this somewhat misleadingly-titled book, All Your Base Are Belong To Us takes readers on a behind the scenes look at the making of several big games that really made an impact on the industry as a whole. From Mario to World of Warcraft, Goldberg portrays intimate accounts on the blood, sweat, and tears it took for some famous developers to realize their dreams and make the products which changed the face of gaming through the years.

It took me a few chapters to get into the format of this book, as I was expecting more of a discussion on gaming in pop culture rather than a history lesson. But Goldberg, at heart, is an investigative journalist and he really did a great job in telling the story of the people behind the games. It's all quite shocking when you read about the tremendous amount of self sacrifice and financial risk some of these programmers underwent to follow their dreams and, in the end, it really was inspiring to see it all come together.

I also really enjoyed getting to know the roots for a lot of the big name developers like Rockstar, EA, Naughty Dog, and a bunch others. Besides seeing their work through the years, the stories behind how they formed really entertained me as a gamer and anyone who wonders what it took for GTA to become GTA and the like will not be disappointed.

I would definitely recommend this book to any gamers who want to know more about the men who made these companies what they are today. For those who also just enjoy some in depth and personal accounts of the struggles for success, there is a lot here too. Overall, a really entertaining read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Your Base Are Belong to Us.