Tânia's Reviews > The Calling

The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, ebook
Read from April 19 to 22, 2012

Even though I really liked the first book in the series, I didn’t feel the same for its sequel. While I was reading I had to stop and ask myself what it was that I liked in the first book because, honestly, there were times when I was completely lost. This second time around, the fearful love triangle prediction didn’t come true, thank the non-existent god! Even though I’m rooting for Daniel as opposed to Rafe, I think it’s more than clear that Daniel and Maya are just best friends, and who knows… maybe he’ll turn out to be her long-lost twin brother?

This book turned out to be just the way I like it, plenty of action scenes, filled with adrenaline, but sometimes too much of the same is tiring! I would have liked to see more story along with the action.

To highlight my favorite scenes, starting with that brilliant opening of the book, in a pulsing scene when Rafe let’s go; Maya, Kick-butt mode, shooting the man who dared to attack her, and her friend, Sam; and the final scene, when Maya finally shapeshifts into a Cougar revealing her wild nature.

Rafe’s return didn’t surprise, and there wasn’t a lot of personal development as it was to be expected when he reunited with Maya. Again, it seemed like the author was more focused on making them walk around in circles, instead of giving us more background story. And the end was like, stop, pause, rewind… come again?! I hate it when you finish the end of a book with that “meh” feeling. The story had so much potential, only to end as yet another one of those books that could have been much better.

The Calling missed a lot of calls, and it didn’t add much to the first book. I hope the third will bring back the refreshing story I fell in love with in The Gathering.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling.

04/19/2012 page 40