Crazy Uncle Ryan's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Feb 27, 09

bookshelves: books-that-rock, books-i-own
Read in July, 2003

** spoiler alert ** Well, I know that for the last three books the story of how I read them has been less than epic but fear not, the story picks up a bit from here. Summer 2003 came along, I had just graduated from college and I was anxiously awaiting the release of the fifth Harry Potter book. I was so anxious in fact that I actually fell for and spread around the story that volume 5 would be called “Harry Potter and The Green Flamed Torch.” Not one of my prouder moments. As soon as the book became available for preorder I went to my college computer lab (which I mysteriously still had access to) and ordered my copy online. Unfortunately, I failed to order it from an online store that would deliver it on the day it came out. It would be shipped on the day it came out.

As it turned out, my brother got married the weekend of the book’s release. The wedding was on Friday and the book came out on Saturday. Saturday morning my sister, brother-in-law, my niece and I all got in their car and started heading home. We pulled off the highway into the first major town we could find and started driving around looking for a Walmart® so they could get their copies of the book. Finally, we spotted one and my sister and I started cheering like crazy people. My 1-½ year old niece stared at us with a very confused look on her face as she wondered what in the world Crazy Uncle Ryan and mommy were doing. My sister and her husband both bought copies of the book and we started back out on the road. As we drove we took turns reading out loud and as Harry was sitting with Luna and Neville on the Hogwarts’ Express we pulled into my apartment complex. They left me there and I was stuck without a book. I watched countless friends reading the book over the next few days. I expressly forbad them from telling me anything about what happened as I checked the mail every single day wondering when my copy would actually arrive. During that wait a nice girl I knew let me borrow her copy one evening as she told me she was not going to read any more that night. I ran back to my apartment with the book under my arm cackling fiendishly and I read as much as I could knowing that I would have to return the book the next day. All in all, I ended up using three or four different copies before I finished reading this book. I then didn’t see it for at least a month as I loaned it out to several friends to read.

There were several times during this book that I get really frustrated with Harry. These times involve him loosing his temper with Umbridge. So many times I just found myself shouting at the book telling Harry to control his temper and not yell at her again. That woman is the DEVIL! I can’t think of any character in the whole series that I dislike more than her and I include Voldemort in that. It’s no wonder that Rowling named her Dolores Umbridge. The name “Dolores” comes from the Latin word for pain. “Umbrage” (yes, Rowling changed the spelling for the name) means “anger or resentment caused by some real or imagined wrong.” That certainly describes her attitude and outlook accurately. “Umbrage” can also mean a shadow. She certainly is a dark presence that seems to brood over people.

This book also contains what I think are the two most powerful and moving scenes in the series. Neither of which, incidentally, made it into the movie version. The first of these is the scene in St. Mungo’s where we see Neville visiting his parents. That scene along with the battle in the Department of Mysteries should leave no doubt in any reader’s mind that, in spite of the fact that he is rather clumsy and awkward, Neville is extremely brave and absolutely belongs in Gryffindor. The second is the scene at the end after Sirius’ death when Harry rages at Dumbledore and their subsequent conversation. You finally see all the anger and sadness that had been building up inside Harry since the end of book 4 come out and we all FINALLY get the answer we had been waiting for so long as to why Voldemort came after Harry in the first place. That’s a very good scene.

Of course, one of the coolest parts in this book, if not in the whole series, is the wizard’s duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort. I love how Dumbledore is dueling the most feared dark wizard ever and keeps calling him Tom and speaking to him as though he we still his teacher and Voldemort is nothing more than a misbehaving student. That and the scene where Dumbledore tells Fudge that he has no intentions of going to Azkaban and than proceeds to knock out everyone is his office and disappears with Fawkes in a flash of fire just make you realize that Dumbledore is the most awesome wizard ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Quotes Crazy Uncle Ryan Liked

J.K. Rowling
“You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts...but you cannot deny he's got style...”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

J.K. Rowling
“Ah" said Dumbledore gently, "Yes I thought we might hit that little snag!"
"Snag?" said Fudge, his voice still vibrating with joy. "I see no snag, Dumbledore!"
"Well," said Dumbledore apologetically, "I'm afraid I do."
"Oh, really?"
"Well it's just that you seem to be labouring under the delusion that I am going to -- come quietly. I am afraid I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutely no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out, of course -- but what a waste of time, and frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gary Love your review....

Susan OMG! When this said it had spoilers, it was right! On page 318 now!