Jade Walker's Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: rated-a

Original review at http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com/

I've been after this book since I first saw it on somebody's wishlist a while back, so when I opened up my Bloomsbury parcel and saw it on the top of the pile, I literally danced around the room.

I like mermaids, but I always find that books about them come on either side of the spectrum, they are really fun (like Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs) or really dark (like Siren by Tricia Rayburn) and I couldn't really decide which side Tempest Rising was, I have concluded that it's sort of somewhere in the middle.

Despite the fact that I didn't find this very original (half mermaid has to choose between land and sea...) I really connected with the story. At first I found it hard to get into but I really got absorbed a few chapters in (maybe that was something to do with a certain sexy surfer) and while there were a few slow parts after that, something always happened just when you begin to notice it. I connected with the characters too, I could understand Tempest's struggle to choose between her family and friends on land and the sea, as well as her struggle to choose between Kona and Mark.

I liked Mark, I really did, he was a bit forceful, a bit harsh but pretty much the typical sixteen year old boy, no magical, mythical powers and I sort of felt sorry for him when Tempest got feelings for Kona... Ahhh Kona, he really is sexy and mysterious... I really liked Kona! I loved Kona! Though I did have a problem with the rate of their relationship... it seemed like they were professing their love for each other after two days.

I never had a moment where I felt like rolling my eyes at the corny or cheesiness and for a book about mermaids, I found it pretty realistic.

One issue I did have was the climax and the ending. I didn't really find the climax that climatic, there is a big fight and suddenly it's over... it didn't suck me in. Deebs left the ending open for a sequel but I don't know if there is one yet and I'm gonna be annoyed if there isn't.

All in all, not a perfect book, but pretty darn great!

Overall rating: A-
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.