Amy Watt's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Meg Cabot

May 22, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi-and-paranormal, romance, young-adult, mythology
Read from May 12 to 22, 2012

Yay! Another Meg Cabot book! I’ve been waiting ages for this to come out (and now I have to wait even more for the next one…).

As you probably already know if you’ve read previous posts, I love Greek mythology. And I love the story of Hades and Persephone. (Which, men, if you’re reading this, it’s not okay to steal women and turn them into Queens of the Underworld. Most women wouldn’t like that. Just saying.)

I like how, in this series, John and Pierce aren’t actually Hades or Persephone or descendants of them, either, but the same stuff is happening to them that happened to Hades and Persephone. It makes a nice change. I’ve read quite a few books where, about halfway through, someone’s all “You’re so-and-so!” and the heroine is all “Yes, I am! Now, I suddenly have magic powers!”. I’m not really sure that that’s how it would pan out in real life (if stuff like this actually happened).

I like Pierce’s character. Again, she’s a strong person (yay, strong women!) but, at the same time, she actually acts like the age she is. She’s stubborn and impulsive and, well, obsessed with her boyfriend. So many books say the heroine is a teenager and then she acts like she’s thirty.

John Hayden. Yum. Again, if you’ve read previous posts, Meg Cabot really knows how to write a man. Seriously. I want one. And John Hayden is no different. Although, there were times when he and Pierce were talking about things and he just assumed that she knew everything and then, when he realised that she didn’t actually know, he freaked out.

Men. Cryptic buggers.

So far, I’ve really enjoyed this series (even though there have only been two books). I can’t wait until the next one comes out! But, at least Size 12 and Ready to Rock comes out in a couple months!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.