Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)'s Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Jul 13, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary-romance, favorites
Read from July 02 to 09, 2011

Forbidden was an absolutely fresh, original story filled with heartache. No matter what anyone says, I give Tabitha Suzuma major credit for tackling such a "taboo" topic. Actually, I not only give her credit for tackling the topic of incest, but weaving such a beautiful story. I'm not going to lie--- in the beginning I was probably just as prejudice as anyone else. The thought of a brother and sister falling in love kinda gave me the creeps. But once the story began to unfold and the gentle ease with which the author introduces us to this forbidden love, you begin to understand how it could happen. Lochan and Maya's mother is HORRIBLE. I think I was more disgusted with this poor excuse of a human being that brought 5 innocent children into this world and basically leaves them to their own devices while she tries losing herself in alcohol and youth that has already passed her by.

I know that reviews are meant to be people's opinions but for the person or persons that said that Lochan's character is selfish and self-centered, I totally disagree. Lochan and Maya are both hardworking students that have been forced to take on the role of father and mother in order to raise their younger brothers and sister. At 17 going on 18 years old, Lochan not only is trying to get good grades, but also has worked out a system with Maya where they feed, bathe, dress their younger siblings as well as make sure they get to school, do their homework, get them to any after school programs or sports, etc. Lochan has no social life outside his home. No girlfriend, not even a friend other than his sister Maya. So how can people say Lochan is selfish? If anything he and Maya are two of the most unselfish, courageous young people I have read about so far. And trust me, I have read many books.

I am going to stop at that. There are so many more things I want to comment on, but I might as well stop since I tend to get a little heated and emotional when it comes to this book. Sometimes less is more, right? If you want to read a controversial, yet beautifully written love story, then this is the book for you. But be aware that this book can be graphic and is not for the faint of heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

Quotes Mia Liked

Tabitha Suzuma
“You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.”
Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden

Tabitha Suzuma
“Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.”
Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden