Lisa's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jul 29, 2011

Read from July 17 to 28, 2011

If I could meet Veronica Roth, I would just tell her: "Congratulations!" because what she has written is so very good, and incredibly tight for a debut novel. What an intriguing world she's created, and what fun and captivating characters she's created in Tris and Four! I did love this book; I expected as much, given Jen's glowing recommendation... and like Jen, I have to agree that Tris could kick Katniss' ass.
I can't wait for the next book. This is a good one... definitely give it a try!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/27 marked as: read

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Reading this made me smile- so happy you liked it! She's editing Insurgent at present. ;)

Lisa I was so tense for many of those chapters, and yes; it was very hard to put it down! I was really surprised by some of the deaths, but the way they were handled worked very well. I appreciated that nothing was sugar-coated or "young-ed down" for the YA audience. This trend of relatively brutal YA books is a good one, IMHO. Maybe I am messed up for thinking that! ;-)

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I agree. I appreciated the way things weren't sugar-coated. I guess if you find that refreshing you'll enjoy Girl in the Arena, though not as much. It falls somewhere in between... but with plenty of unexpected stuff that isn't dumbed down.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I think the only weak spot was the "mystery" surrounding Four's identity. Maybe it was more obvious to me than others, but I think we've all seen enough movies/TV shows where the minute somebody cautions somebody else about someone who "disappeared a long time ago and hasn't been heard from since" it's obvious that that very person is about to appear. I like that at least Tris didn't figure it out as quickly as I did. I had to keep reminding myself "she doesn't know, hasn't realized...".