Bleu's Reviews > The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate

The Invisible Chains - Part 1 by Andrew Ashling

Jul 23, 11

Read from July 06 to 15, 2011

I’m one of those shy readers who rely mostly on the star rating for review or the “like” button if I find reviewers who come close to describing what I have in mind about a particular book. To all those authors whose books I’ve given five stars to, I apologize for not being brave enough in expressing my appreciation for your efforts by writing my own reviews. Reading Andrew Ashling’s The Invisible Chains (Part 1) made me realize that I have a responsibility as a reader to help promote talented authors that have been hiding in plain sight and need to be brought into the spotlight. I want them to keep writing.

This is the first m/m book that gave me a truly fantastic imaginative journey amongst royals, nobles, followers, enemies, impostors and barbarians. The world-building started with a bang. For a book with hundreds of pages, there were no over-written narratives that would have made me skip pages. The fascinating characters, cunning power plays, and crafty twists had me wanting to observe the gripping gameplay going on in the book from a bird’s-eye view. If I’m that engaged from all angles, minor typos do not even affect me. It was a long read but there were tons of characters with their own stories of dangerous secrets, stubborn quests for power and intriguing family dynamics that all relate to the main plot.

The book is an action-adventure fiction with mystery and intensely deep tough love. It is medieval in setting but it is NOT the type of fantasy that has any kind of magic, folklore or anything supernatural. Just some princely twink, poisonous concoctions and a weird stool with a knob in the center of the seat:)

Note the subtitle of the series, “The Dark Tales...” so expect some dark moments in the book but trust the author to get you past those. The series is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Chains - Part 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Td (new) - rated it 5 stars

Td Excellent review, no need to by shy! I was a shy reader too, lol. This one was my first review actually, I HAD to say SOMETHING even if I didn't do it justice. Can't wait to see what you think about the rest. :)

Bleu You inspired me to write the review. I needed that last push to finally get more involved. I've written a few sentences here and there but I don't do very well. I'm not really good at putting my thoughts into words specially if I just finished reading a book that got all my emotions in full gear.
The story teller and his stool crack me up! Hmmnnn...I wonder I he's one of the characters in the main story.
I love books with all hotness in men and sex but this one bites differently and it bites well too!
Is Ehandar bipolar? I'm starting to think that it must run in the family.
I just started the 2nd book. Here comes a few sleepless nights!