Kyle's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: favourites
Read from July 01 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

I’ll start by saying I’m a harsh reviewer. Books I read rarely get over four stars. But this book easily deserves five stars, and I think I may have to downgrade other books just because it’s so much better than other books that have gotten a perfect rating.

As soon as I was on the fourth page, I was hooked, with an introduction that manages to introduce characters but keep you excited at the same time. All the writing in this book was excellent. It was easy to read, descriptions were rich in detail and for an author’s first book it was absolutely amazing. All the characters were detailed, you really felt like you knew them, and Jacob’s POV was rich and realistic. The author also doesn’t hesitate to throw in a few swear words here and there, which is a nice surprise from the usually squeaky-clean YA world.

The plot was amazing. It keeps you engaged, and when you put it down you just want to keep reading. What I thought the author did amazingly well was managing to keep up the suspense without irritating the reader. Every answer you get just brings up more questions, but the author manages to do it in such a way that, for lack of a better term, doesn’t piss you off (as I find many other books do). Almost everything about this book is original. You’ll be hard pressed to find concepts that have been recycled from other places, and it’s a refreshing, while very strange, novel. It manages to fit so many emotions in, with a hauntingly creepy beginning, while mixing in humour and action and mystery, while not compromising on any of them. The creepy is haunting and you can’t help but feel a little nervous, the humour is well written and makes you laugh, and the action is exciting to read. It’s hard to believe this is Ransom Riggs’s first book because it was better written than almost anything I’ve ever read.

On top of the amazing writing, there were the photographs. I love eBooks, but this book would be a shame to read on a Kindle or an iPad, or even as a paperback. The photographs in the book are all real, vintage photographs that the author acquired from collectors and they are all absolutely beautiful. Before I started reading this book, I was worried that the photographs would just be there for the sake of, but the author really integrated them with the story, and they always had a purpose. They really add to the whole experience of the book, and I often found myself pouring over the photographs for a few minutes when I came across them. On top of the already amazing story, this made a great book even more wonderful.

If you haven’t read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, you really must. Marvellously written with beautiful photographs, this book was just generally amazing. The only bad thing I have to say about this book is that whatever I read next will be terrible in comparison.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Quotes Kyle Liked

Ransom Riggs
“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”
Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

07/08/2011 page 200
57.0% "Wow. This book is absolutely AMAZING. The writing is excellent, and the story is mysterious and exciting. Photography is intriguing and really adds to the story."
07/10/2011 page 294
84.0% "It really just gets better and better. The plot is fantastic."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Schuyler Esperanza I'm going to try and read it in hardback--I love photography! Excellent review. I feel utterly compelled to get this book ASAP!

Kyle ^ Great! It's definitley a must read.

Matt I was cautious about this book, but after reading your review I'll definitely read it.

Kyle ^ I was too. I basically bought it because it was a book I didn't want to read on my Kindle, but I needed a book to bring to camp. Never expected it to be this good!

Kyle ^ Yay! You're going to love it :D

Schuyler Esperanza I just got my greedy, grubby hands on a copy! Excited to start reading it. :D

Schuyler Esperanza Stunning read. Brilliant writing. SO glad you reviewed this and got me all excited about it--I really loved it!!!

Kyle Schuyler wrote: "Stunning read. Brilliant writing. SO glad you reviewed this and got me all excited about it--I really loved it!!!"
Great! I'm really happy I'm not the only one who loved it :P