Lisa's Reviews > Goddess Interrupted

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: harlequin
Read in March, 2012

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

I went into reading this with some apprehension because I was not a fan of the dull characters and plot from the first book. Was Goddess Interrupted an improvement? Definitely! At the end of The Goddess Test, Calliope was sentenced to spend time with each one of Henry's potential wives she had killed and wouldn't be set free until every single one forgave her. You'd think she'd be stuck there forever (really…would you forgive her?) but you'll be shocked to discover that her father, Cronus the King of the Titans, is awakening and slowly regaining his power with her help. If Kate and the other immortal gods don't stop them, the world will be destroyed and everyone will die. No pressure, right?

After going to Greece for six months with her best friend, James, Kate is finally returning to Henry so that she can finally become Queen of the Underworld and, more importantly, Henry's wife. Excited to continue her relationship with him, Kate's horrified when he doesn't even give her a kiss hello and still seems like a reluctant participant in their relationship. Henry's deep set fears about her leaving him have prevented him from really falling for her. He fell in love with Persephone, Kate's sister, hundreds of years ago and she went and left him for the gorgeous but mortal Adonis. Kate and Henry's relationship becomes so much more complicated in this book but in a good way. We see something other than Henry being passive, and we get to explore a lot more of his vulnerabilities. There are quite a few moments that will provoke cheering and others…crying. What a rollercoaster! It really is a mystery to figure out whether Henry will ever return Kate's feelings for him full force. Is he marrying her out of obligation to the Underworld or is he only keeping himself alive? (Immortals die without a purpose.) Get ready for progress to be made before it's wiped out in just seconds... Oh my poor heart…

When Henry's kidnapped by Cronus, the only way they can defeat him is if they find where he's been imprisoned. To do that, Kate must wander aimlessly through the Underworld until she can find Persephone who, other than Henry, is the only person who knows where that is. Kate was a much stronger character in this book, I think. She took charge and made it her mission to do what everyone else was afraid to do and was willing to risk her life for Henry, even if he didn't want her and even if she had to ask his ex-wife for help to do so. She grows a backbone, successfully manipulates her enemies and even develops the ability to see things that are happening elsewhere, sort of like astral projection but asleep. Yes, she's "needy" at times but her determination to save everyone is very admirable.

Many relationships come to light in Goddess Interrupted. Persephone and Kate's other best friend, Ava, refuse to stop arguing about men and their beauty (SO entertaining), James offers Kate his love instead of Henry's and….you'll learn lots more about the relationships between the other immortals that I'll keep a surprise for you ;) They're all very messy and a little shocking! If you hated the lack of action in book one, this sequel will definitely satisfy because everyone is constantly on the move. There's so much uncertainty surrounding Kate's romance with Henry…I may have punched the book a few times and wiped at some misty eyes. Still, my heart feels heavy and filled with worry…especially after that cliffhanger. There's the mid-tragedy cliffhanger and then there's the "No, don't stop! I WANT MORE!" cliffhanger. This one's the former with some gasp-worthy twists mixed in… Eek!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess Interrupted.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liyana (new)

Liyana Okay, in order:

1) No eternal torment for Calliope? Booo!
2) Come on, Henry, go for the girl! *shakes fist*

Sounds good! I had the same misgivings with you about the characters, though I totally fell for the whole seven tests plot. I'll definitely pick this up, though maybe when Book 3 is nearer so there won't be a long wait! ;)

Lisa LOL yes, Calliope should suffer. Especially after...other things that happen. Grawr! *claws*

I have my fingers crossed that Henry goes for it in the next book! COME ON! <3

I LOVED the idea of the seven tests but I thought they'd be epic and huge, which was why I was a bit let down by the "Oh you're so kind by lending me your clothes.." tests LOL.

message 3: by Liyana (new)

Liyana *snort* Don't remind me. In hindsight...*sigh* I thought it was totally plausible! Like, "Awww, those Greek hearts are so mushy, it's so cute."

Then everyone was like "Are you CUHRAZYYY? They're Greek gods aka SO not mushy," and I'm like "...oh yeah."

Lisa Haha yes I would be included with "everyone". I was honestly expecting some big huge tasks/missions LOL.

Tanya Wires glad to see your review. I just started book 2 but it felt slow to me and I was going to stop...I'll probably read some more now.

Lisa Oh, I hope it gets better for you! :) Happy reading!