Sezín Koehler's Reviews > Duma Key

Duma Key by Stephen King

Mar 19, 2008

bookshelves: horror, spirituality, book-ii-crime-rave-2015, book-v-florida-research, book-iii-prague-research
Read in May, 2008

Feb. 17, 2011:

I have a real thing for stories about artists who make "live" paintings. Man, this book was creepy and not just because I'm scared of the water. I really enjoyed re-reading this one and it seriously made me want to paint more. :-)

May 24, 2008:

As ever, Stephen King's work is brilliant and insightful. It seems as if every new novel he produces becomes more and more spiritual, and I loved how the main character in this novel went through a horrifying trauma only to develop magical, yet totally realistic, powers.

Unlike many of his earlier novels, King has been focusing on delving deeply into the mind and subconcious of his main character and this is done to perfection here. I also thoroughly enjoyed the little anti-Bush and anti-Iraq War digs that were strategically placed throughout the story.

On a more personal note, I would liken my reaction to King's work (especially his more recent novels) to how I feel when I see M. Night Shyamalan films: Like I'm home somehow and understood in ways that I don't usually feel in my actual life. It's a wonderful feeling, and even though the story is indeed terrifying, I felt safe in King's hands and relished the moments of connection I have with him. Already, I can't wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duma Key.