Teresa Lukey's Reviews > The Submission

The Submission by Amy Waldman

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011-top-10, 5-stars, fiction, made-me-cry, must-share-with-friends, my-absolute-fav-s, wow
Read from December 12 to 15, 2011

The Submission made my ten best books for 2011. It is an extremely thought provoking read that I would recommend to anyone, especially those who may be scared or ignorant of the Muslim religion.

This story takes place in 2003 NYC. They city has assembled a group of judges, who accept, and wade through, submissions for a memorial at the site of the twin towers. The group decides they do not want to know who the designer is until they have made a final decision as to which design they want to use. After the judges make there decision, the name of the architect is unveiled, unleashing a torrent of emotion. The winner is Mohammad Khan and american-born, non-practicing Muslim. Then ensues the debate not just among-st the judges, but among-st the public after the information is leaked.

What follows is the authors methodical and thorough display what arises. We see the turmoil between the jurors and the riot of emotion from the public, especially people who lost a family member on 9/11. The author does an excellent job of showing you both sides of the picture, from Mohammad Khan's exasperation about the controversy, to the public outcry of the Muslim's building their paradise at ground zero in celebration of their achievement. We also get a glimpse in to the media and how they spin it.

The novels conclusion is several years in to the future and is sure to give you goosebumps. I know I have not done the book justice with this review and I'm not sure I have what it takes to get across the immense importance of this piece of literature, but I will say this is a book I could see reading a second time. Not only is it that good, but there is much to be learned from Ms. Waldman's presentation of this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Submission.

Quotes Teresa Liked

Amy Waldman
“Nothing in life gets dropped without someone else having to pick it up.”
Amy Waldman, The Submission

12/12/2011
50.0% "Definitely one thought provoking read."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (new) - added it

Gail Been hearing SO much buzz about this one, Teresa. Man, I wish we were neighbors b/c I'd raid your bookshelf! We always seem to be reading the same books!

Teresa Lukey I think this is a very important piece of literature. It is incredibly thoughtful, emotional and a wonderful way to get people to think. For me, this book is the best I've read that has anything to do with the 9/11 attack on the towers.

As far as my bookshelves- I have so many books I'd be happy to share if you were close. I have hundreds that are unread(yes, I'm an addict), but I do share with my friends and trade most when I've finished with them.

Jill I so agree -- this is the best 9/11-themed book I've read, a superbly-done novel. Btw, I hear you about the book addict stuff; I figure if I live 90 more years, I MAY complete all the unread books on my bookshelf :)

message 4: by Gail (new) - added it

Gail You've got me sold Teresa! Can't wait to dig in to it -- will have to be on my list for 2012!