Patrick's Reviews > Nemesis

M 50x66
Jul 01, 2011

bookshelves: comics
Read in June, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Take Batman and remove all the crap about helping people and scaring criminals and you end up with Nemesis. From the first time we see him as he tortures a Japanese police chief and mocks him as he is run over by a train we know that Nemesis is a badass who won't take shit from anybody. And, of course since he is a bad guy we are rooting against him. Mostly.

The book has plenty of unexpected twists and turns. So, that awesome origin story made up for Nemesis? All made up. OMG, Nemesis is about to be trapped? He wnated to. This was mostly fun, but some of the stuff the real enemy was supposed to have set up was contrived. Yeah, it makes plenty of sense he knew all of this ten years ago. I thought that ending scene would have been much more powerful and enjoyable if the time frame had been a bit more believable, a year or something like that.

Another example of too much of a good thing is the outrageous cartoonish violence and villiany. Most of the time this stuff was awesome and fun to read, but when he had the commissioner's gay son impregnate the teenage daughter that was a bit much.

Overall, this was a fun book that turned some cliches on their head, while adhering to the whole comic book story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nemesis.

Mike Unbelievable is right, and that drags this down a lot more for me than it apparently does for you.