Liza's Reviews > Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: classroom-library, favorite, young-adult, young-adult-paranormal-romance
Recommended for: YA fans, those disappointed with YA romances that are trendy right now
Read from July 06 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

This book is absolutely amazing. Angelini is a gifted writer. She was able to construct such a beautiful story. The plot is intriguing, the characters are all multidimensional-even the archetypes, and the relationship between Helen and Lucas is organic and evolves with the book. It's not your typical YA book where the heroine sees the love interest, talks about how beautiful he is, and loses herself in the process. The book even mocks females that become stupidly in love at one point. This book is not filled with several "I love you" and "He was as beautiful as a sun God," every four pages. Whatever Lucas and Helen share becomes part of the plot arc and not the entire story itself. The author avoids the characters from going into tirades about undying love- any emotions and hurdles the two face becomes intense. You know that the relationship is strong without having to hear over and over again how beautiful or in love they are, through careful storytelling. The relationship is one worth fighting for, because it's not a silly irrational love affair.

The way Angelini plays with Greek mythology is fresh and unconventional. It was difficult to guess what was about to happen, though Angelini would carefully leave clues here and there to lead you to the overall plot. Angelini is masterful with foreshadowing; it was impossible to say, "Oh, I know exactly how this is going to end." If you are ever led to a correct guess something else occurs that throws you off track. She purposefully leads you down a path only to have the reader see it's yet another plot twist or surprise. There are characters in Starcrossed whose motives are so complex that I can't be sure who is lying and who is telling the truth. (And unlike other YA novels no one is all good or all bad.)

It's a great read for those tired of the same plot and wanting a story to have them captivated. This is that story.

I for one, can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.

07/07/2011 page 39
07/07/2011 page 380
77.0% "I am falling in love with this book."
show 3 hidden updates…