Gina's Reviews > Pray for Silence

Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo

Nov 30, 11

bookshelves: library, mystery, suspense, thriller, female-detectives, amish, murder, rape, book-club
Read from November 29 to 30, 2011

Book Description- The Plank family moved from Lancaster, PA, to join the small Amish community of Painters Mill, OH less than a year ago and seemed the model of the Plain Life-until on a cold October night, the entire family of seven was found slaughtered on their farm. Police Chief Kate Burkholder and her small force have few clues, no motive, and no suspect. Formerly Amish herself, Kate is no stranger to the secrets the Amish keep from the English-and on another-but this crime is horribly out of the ordinary.

State Agent John Tomasetti arrives on the scene to assist. He and Kate worked together on a previous case during which they began a volatile relationship. They soon realize that the disturbing details of this case will test their emotional limits and force them to face demons from their own troubled pasts-and for Kate, a personal connection that is particularly hard to bear.

When she discovers a diary that belonged to one of the teenaged daughters, Kate is shocked to learn that the girl kept some very dark secrets and may have been living a lurid double life. Who is the charismatic stranger who stole the young Amish girl's heart? Could the brother-a man with a violent past, rejected and shunned by his family and the Amish community-have come to seek out revenge? As Kate's outrage grows, so does her resolve to find the killer and bring him to justice-even if it means putting herself in the line of fire.

I read this book in a day and a half...only because I had to sleep at some point. I think that alone speaks a great deal about a book. If a book is one that I read in a day then it is one that is interesting, has a great plotline, pulls you in from the first word, and has great characters. This book has all that and more! Its hard to put words to how I feel about Castillo's writing...I guess it has a wow factor! She keeps you on the edge of your seat and blows your mind with the crimes that she writes about. But to give a fair warning, her books are usually pretty graphic and gruesome so if this type of material is not for you than neither is this book. The characters are fully developed. As the second book in the series, I felt like I knew the character's personalities and Castillo doesn't spend a lot of time recapping info from the first book. So if you haven't read Sworn to Silence, the first in the series, I recommend you read that one first. The only thing that has me puzzled is the storyline around the oldest Plank brother. I think a lot went unexplained with that character and I think more time should have been spent developing him or she just should have left him out. But that is really the only thing I have to complain about the book and it is pretty minor. I gave it 4 stars because of this part of the story but I would still highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a great murder mystery!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pray for Silence.

11/29/2011 page 103
34.0% "So far I am loving this book. The author just has a way of grabbing you right in."
11/29/2011 page 220
72.0% "I love this book!"