Courtney's Reviews > The Maid of Fairbourne Hall

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: christian, for-review, christian-historical-fiction, clean-romance
Read from February 17 to March 06, 2012

Julie Klassen sure knows how to write GREAT stories!! I instantly fell in love with the Maid of Fairbourne Hall from the very first chapters!! I was appalled at Margaret Macy’s family and felt that if I was in that same situation I would flee too and do whatever it took to keep myself safe! She suddenly finds herself without any choice but to search for work and willing to accept any possible position.

I don’t believe Margaret Macy ever thought she’d be scrubbing chamber pots and being treated like a nobody but that’s exactly what happened to this spoiled and selfish girl. I was fascinated to see how Margaret’s heart and character would change as she goes from being the one treating her own maid poorly to being a maid herself that is treated poorly. Her growth was genuine and not instantaneous which made her that much more endearing.

The story line is magnificent! There was lots of tension brewing throughout the story that kept you on the edge of your seat wondering if Margaret was going to get away with her disguise or if her step-father would eventually find her! The two brothers in the story kept it even more uncertain as to who she could trust and what her fate would be! I loved the details Julie gives us about being a maid, how it’s a whole other world. She also writes with historical accuracy and spiritual enlightenment!

This time period is probably one of my favorites and just love the way Julie captured it in this unique setting! Julie Klassen’s books always end up on my favorite shelves and this is no exception! Great book!

I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my personal and honest review and opinion. All opinions are my own.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid of Fairbourne Hall.