Kaye's Reviews > Wildefire

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, summer-2011, pulseit, mythology
Recommended for: My worst enemy. No wait, I don't want them to be tortured by this either.
Read from July 01 to 02, 2011

No. Just no.

So I logged onto PulseIt for the first time in weeks to find this book was already up for free, and was like, "Why not?" I love mythology, particularly those types of books that try to put it in perspective with the present - such as Rick Riordan, the amazing guy that he is - and the multicultural aspects that people kept raving about sounded appealing.

All I can say is, I have no idea why I went through with finishing the story.

First of all, a guy writing from a girl's POV (honestly, I didn't know he was a guy until the end) = trouble. No matter how many sisters you have, how close you were with your mom as a kid, you do not know what goes through my mind as a teenage girl, bub. Don't even try to.

Ashline is just a horrible protagonist as it is. So, we start out with her beating up the girl her boyfriend cheated on her with, and leaving the guy practically untouched. She can try to kill the girl for herself, but when her sister goes ahead and finishes the job for her, it's a major issue. Oh, sorry, did you want the blood on your hands for yourself?

I could not connect with any of the teenagers in this book. It was like one major party of underage hookups, freaky blow-ups and...well, I can't think of any ups. Let's just say it was bad.

Yeah. I don't think the author's going to like me after this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildefire.

07/01/2011 page 12
07/01/2011 page 76
19.0% "I am not sure what to think about this right now."
07/01/2011 page 114
29.0% "This far in, and I'm still not feeling the love? Not a good sign."
07/02/2011 page 346
88.0% "We're finally getting into the myth part of it, at least." 6 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Ugh. Could not agree more.

message 2: by Kaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Kaye Wendy Darling wrote: "Ugh. Could not agree more."

I don't mean anything against the author - if I did, I'm sorry for it. I just thought the story could have been...better? Ugh.

Susanna I ran into the same problems with the characters, though I thought the storyline was fast-paced enough to stay interesting. Looking back, however, it was trying to go in so many directions it didn't really accomplish anything.

message 4: by Kaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Kaye Susanna wrote: "I ran into the same problems with the characters, though I thought the storyline was fast-paced enough to stay interesting. Looking back, however, it was trying to go in so many directions it didn'..."

I know! Half of the time, I was trying to remember which character was which. And then, right at the end, there's a new twist thrown in so you're like, "GAH! Should I read the next one just to see what happens?"