D. 's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 01, 2011

Read in July, 2011

Despite the fact that it dealt with the Twilight-inspired theme of werewolves and forbidden romance, I believe this book to be a valuable addition to the canon of YA literature. The cover, despite being a little bland, has a sort of minimalist beauty about it. The shades of blue-gray serve to highlight the theme of cold during the book. I love the wolf peeking out form behind the branches! The plot is predictable, and yet the writing makes the book interesting and holds your attention. The situations, despite being obviously fictional, are well-written and compelling. Although it isn't plausible for one girl to hold the secret of the wolves, the lack of attention that Grace and Sam receive allow their romance to blossom. I found the lack of supervision to be helpful to the storyline, but Grace's issues with her parents come across as trivial when compared to all of the story's other aspects. The romance in the novel is very believable and I can honestly saw that I love them as a couple. The author gives them a real emotional connection that does not read as phony or corny. The characters are as complicated as real people and have the emotions that many novels are missing. I cannot wait to read the next novel in this series! I would recommend this to fans of fantasy and romance alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.