Thad's Reviews > Visions of Cody

Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouac

Jul 01, 2011

Read in May, 2013

"No possible way of avoiding enigmas. Like people in cafeterias smile when they're arriving and sitting down at the table but when they're leaving, when in unison their chairs scrape back they pick up their coats and things with glum faces (all of them the same degree of semi-glumness which is a special glumness that is disappointed that the promise of the first arriving smiling moment didn't come out or if it did it died after a short life)--and during that short life which has the same blind unconscious quality as the orgasm, everything is happening to all their souls--this is the GO--the summation pinnacle possible in human relationships--lasts a second--the vibratory message is on--yet it's not so mystic either, it's love and sympathy in a flash. Similarly, we who make the mad night all the way (four-way sex orgies, three-day conversations, uninterrupted transcontinental drives) have that momentary glumness that advertises the need for sleep we can call it up again mixing it with unlimited other beautiful combinations--shuffle the old file cards of the soul in demented hallucinated sleep--So the people in the cafeteria have that look but only until their hats and things are picked up, because the glumness is also a signal they send one another, a kind of "Goodnight Ladies" of perhaps interior heart politeness. What kind of friend would grin openly in the faces of his friends when it's the time for glum coatpicking and bending to leave? So it's a sign of "Now we're leaving this table which had promised so much--this is our obsequy to the sad." The glumness goes as soon as someone says something and they head for the door--laughing they fling back echoes to the scene of their human disaster--they go off down the street in the new air provided by the world. Ah the mad hearts of us all."

"I'm in love with my life and I'm sticking to it--I mean the belief in it. I may be a distracted wretch but I am still a man and I know how to fight and survive, I have before. Gods, if not help me, if instead barb me, be careful of me, I can catch thunderbolts and pull you down and have done it before. Adieu!"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visions of Cody.

05/25/2013 marked as: read