Chibineko's Reviews > First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Jul 01, 2011

bookshelves: awesomeness, cool, cool-as-heck, dark, funny, butt-kicking-heroines, magic, murder, mystery, romance, supernatural, urban-fantasy
Read in August, 2011

I received this for free via a Goodreads contest.

I procrastinated a little bit on this book, but the cover kept calling to me saying "Read me- I won't be like all of the others here on the shelf". Wouldn't you know that the cover was right? This isn't like any of the other books out there.

This is a very smart and slick story that grabs you from the very first page and doesn't let you go. I know that sounds like a cheesy blurb line but it's the truth. I loved that Charley Davidson both broke and embodied the idea of the gritty supernatural heroine. She's not afraid to get hurt and she's not afraid to go after whatever it is that she's currently set her mind on. I loved that she wasn't really all that stupid either.

Story-wise this was a pretty decent read. I loved the one liners and I liked the slow buildup in the story. It does occasionally suffer from first-book-itis, but this is an exemplary first book from a new author.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Grave on the Right.