Teresa's Reviews > The Winthrop Woman

The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winthrop Woman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I read this probably 35 years ago and the memory of how much I loved it is still strong. Someday I will read it again. I worked in Boston at the time and loved walking by the church where she was reviled. Isn't it nice living in (or near) an historical city!

Teresa Sue wrote: "I read this probably 35 years ago and the memory of how much I loved it is still strong. Someday I will read it again. I worked in Boston at the time and loved walking by the church where she was reviled. Isn't it nice living in (or near) an historical city! "

Oh, definitely!

I read it a long time ago too and was rating it by my memory of it. I went through an Anya Seton phase in the 80's after reading "Green Darkness" and "Catherine," which are my favorites by her.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I've read Katherine too and actually plan to re-read that. I got a copy half priced when the local Borders was closing. I think I may have read more but I don't remember. My Anya Seton phase was in the 70s when a co-worker introduced me to her. She also introduced me to Georgette Heyer who has some nice regency novels but I'm not sure which of those I've read either. (not the romances--I don't go for romances per se)

message 4: by Teresa (last edited Jul 03, 2011 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Sue wrote: "I've read Katherine too and actually plan to re-read that. I got a copy half priced when the local Borders was closing. I think I may have read more but I don't remember. My Anya Seton phase was in..."

A co-worker introduced me to Seton as well! I tried to read Heyer once and it was not for me. But then I think I've had my fill of period historical fiction if only because I read so much of it in the past -- unless something like Wolf Hall comes along, which I loved, which transcends the genre.

message 5: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· This brings back memories for me too. When I left children's books behind I went on to Anya Seton and Jean Plaidy. I loved this kind of historical novel when I was in my early teens. (I don't think YA existed at the time, or at least not where I lived)

Teresa I did the Plaidy thing then too, Karen. I still remember that long shelf with all her books in the library and my standing in front of them looking for one I hadn't read yet!

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Haven't read any Plaidy. What period does she write of? I know I'm older than you Teresa, don't know about you Karen. but the book world has changed a huge amount since I was young.

There wasn't any YA when I was young, just biographies of famous people and classics like Heidi, etc. Of course there were the Nancy Drew books and all the other "career" types Donna Parker camp nurse, Trixie belden life guard. No real aspirations. I read everything in the children's and junior high library and then was given permission to use the adult library early (before high school). Boy did I love that. I really the other books don't remember the other books I read say pre high school, but I know I read all the time.I'll bet there were a lot of classics in there--for children.

message 8: by Teresa (last edited Jul 03, 2011 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Sue wrote: "Haven't read any Plaidy. What period does she write of? I know I'm older than you Teresa, don't know about you Karen. but the book world has changed a huge amount since I was young."

Sue, you may know Plaidy by her real name: Eleanor Hibbert, or by her other pseudonyms: Victoria Holt and Phillipa Carr. I didn't read the books she wrote under her other names; they just didn't appeal to me, I guess.

She wrote of a fairly wide time period, from Norman times to Queen Victoria, the latter I didn't read. I liked the 'older' ones, esp the ones about the Plantagents and the Tudors. I read some of her Stuart books, I think, but didn't go any farther than that time-wise.

I'm 49. I believe YA was becoming a term when I was an adolescent, though our library labeled it just Y (for Youth, I believe). It was the early 70s and times, they were a-changing :) with books targeted to adolescents and teens about contemporary issues.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Yes I'm familiar with the names Holt and Carr though I don't know if I've ever red anything by them.

There were so many changes in the 60s and 70s and this is another good one.

message 10: by Teresa (last edited Jul 03, 2011 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Sue wrote: "Funny, it was after college, in the 70s, that I read Madeleine Engle and other YA books (though I really didn't know that label). I have friends who are children's librarians and recommend books to me now. The ones the recommend have been invariably wonderful."

I thought of L'Engle after I sent off my last message. Yes, I doubt her books were labeled as YA when they came out, but I guess some of them might be now. "A Wrinkle in Time" (I see it came out in '62, a year after I was born) I read as a child and reread and reread and read -- one of my favorites growing up. But I didn't read any of the sequels to it until after I had children of my own!

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Yes I read that after I graduated from college which was in 1970, so it was a fairly new book.

Teresa Sue wrote: "Have you read any of Lois Lowry's books? I think I've read 2 and have a couple more on my TBR."

I've read "The Giver" and its two companion books. (And I read them not too too long ago, though it was pre-GR.) Not sure if I've read any others by her.

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Once again, so many books, so little time!