Yoonmee's Reviews > Dreaming in Chinese

Dreaming in Chinese by Deborah Fallows

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: travel-writing, asia
Read from July 01 to 02, 2011

I'm torn on this one. Sometimes Fallows overgeneralizes about the Chinese so much that it really annoyed me and other times I found myself nodding my head at her descriptions of her attempts to learn a new and difficult language, of living in a foreign country, of being utterly confused by different customs. (Note: I was an expat in Seoul, Korea for three years.) I'm giving this one 3 stars because I'm in a good mood, but it's probably somewhere between 2 and 3 stars. I just wish Fallows hadn't spent so much time generalizing. I realize she was trying to fit a lot of information and personal stories into a short book (then again, why not just make it a longer book?), but sometimes I couldn't help but roll my eyes and think to myself, "She's Harvard educated with a Ph.D. in linguists, has lived in many different countries, and she's still making these inane, very American, very privileged generalizations about the Chinese? Good grief."
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming in Chinese.