Jason Kristopher's Reviews > Darker Things

Darker Things by Rob Cornell

Jul 01, 2011

Recommended to Jason by: www.coffeemugged.net
Recommended for: Horror, supernatural, or magic fans
Read from July 01 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Rob Cornell does a good job guiding us through the premise of this book, presumably the first in a series called The Lockman Chronicles.

I thought it was an interesting take on the whole supernatural "genre", for lack of a better word, and was drawn into the story immediately by the strong action and questions raised in the prologue/preface.

As Alice said, "curiouser and curiouser!"

The action was good, but didn't get in the way of the story's development (at least to me). The teenager in the book was a pain-in-the-ass, but what teenager isn't? Realistically written, to my mind. Nothing offensive, and I didn't find myself skipping pages to get to the good parts, which is always a litmus test for me for an author I haven't read before.

There were a few mistakes in word choice (e.g. a car has brakes, not breaks) and the occasional other grammar or punctuation slip, and I would've liked to have seen a table of contents built into the book, but overall, this was a well-edited and even more importantly, well-written, story. It's a good length for a novel, and for $2.99, you can't beat the value.

I recommend this book for a good horror/suspense read with a unique take on the idea of the supernatural and magic, and I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darker Things.

07/01/2011