Laura P.'s Reviews > Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love

F_50x66
Jul 01, 11

bookshelves: animals
Read in July, 2011

I enjoyed this book for reminding me that love does not always come in the package that you expect it too. Oogy was most likely used as a bait dog for dogfighting and it is a testament to his spirit that he remained friendly and amiable despite the pain he must have endured. The Levin family has a lot of heart for adopting him even though they knew of the medical difficulties they could face. Sometimes the writing style was a little too matter of fact for my taste. There was a lot of description and emotion at points, but then, for pages and pages it would dry up. Honestly, if the subject matter didn't extremely interest me, I probably would not have continued reading.

I did like that the author used Oogy to open up conversations between himself and his adoptive sons. For example, he asked them if they felt different because they were adopted and did they identify with Oogy more because of their background. The fact that Oogy is a very special dog and the Levin family is very lucky to have him is made abundantly clear.

Overall, Oogy is a good book but not a great one. It is particularly a worthwhile read for dog lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oogy.