Krys's Reviews > Cold Snap: Stories

Dec 28, 08

bookshelves: books-to-take-to-china
Recommended to Krys by: James Burford, Lisa Stolley
Read in December, 2008

In Cold Snap, Tom Jones's themes are pretty limited: doctors, africa, diabetes, drugs, petty crime, boxing. That seems like quite the variety until you discover every story recycles two or three of these themes, without said reconfigurations adding any deeper appreciation of the themes he is beating to death.

I loved his story "I want to Live" which I believe appeared in his previous collection, but here nothing to impress me. Characters often felt 2-dimensional, and even the nuances of "saving lives in Africa" got boring with one disillusioned doctor after another.

Things it would seem that you are supposed to learn from Cold Snap: doctors are assholes, escapism (particularly the brightly-colored capsule kind) is a perfectly acceptable way of living your life, and boxing is cool.

There was nothing so horrid about this stories other than the painful lack of anything that even measures up to "I Want to Live." I know people love him. And I will give the man credit for his knack for natural first-person narrative and dialogue, that totally fits the characters whose stories he's telling. It's just that those characters got boring real quick

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Snap.