Heather's Reviews > Back When You Were Easier to Love

2098381
Jul 01, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011, ya

I’m on the fence about this read, hence my delay in reviewing, well, that and I have become very lazy in my reviewing of books as of late. But I digress.

This read was not at all what I was expecting. The religious undertone often drowned out the otherwise universal story. I consider this fact a detriment, thus my three star rating. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the book overall.

Joy is consumed by her relationship with Zan; it is how she defines herself. When Zan leaves without warning, or a goodbye, Joy is convinced his departure was due to the stifling nature of their Mormon community. It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with her, or his lack of faith in their beliefs. He just needed to fill his life with people as equally evolved as her, right? Lost in denial, Joy accuses everyone aside from Zan himself, for his leaving. Her thoughts are filled with past moments shared and questions that will remain unanswered unless she finds and confronts him. After months of angst, Joy finally embarks on a road trip to find Zan and gain the understanding she so desperately needs.

The truth is I think we have all been Joy at one point or another. Hasn’t everyone had at least one relationship in their lives that consumed them? Where the defining of yourself begins and ends with that other person regardless of how good or bad the relationship may actually be? If so, you’ll commiserate with Joy, if not, take notes, Joy will provide you with plenty of mistakes to avoid.

All in all, the book has a great message, but I could have done without the preaching.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back When You Were Easier to Love.