Heather's Reviews > All You Get Is Me

All You Get Is Me by Yvonne Prinz

2098381
Jul 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, ya

Roar has anything but a charmed life, but it’s a life she has become accustomed too, that is until her father has an existential crisis, quits his job as an attorney, and plucks her from her city home to grow organic produce on a ramshackle farm in the middle of no where. Now Roar’s days are filled with dirt, farm stands and small town folk, some of which aren’t too hard on the eyes.

While Roar grips the remnants of her old life with an iron fist, most notably her hobby as a photographer, she slowly adapts to the lifestyle associated to small town life. Farming proves to be strenuous, and financially un-rewarding, but there is an earnestness and sense of camaraderie that comes with working hours on in planting seedlings, picking crops and selling them about town. But as Roar soon finds out, small town life doesn’t always equal simple.

All You Get Is Me was a pleasant surprise. I suppose it is frilly in its own way. I’m becoming more and more annoyed to discover that just about every heroine in nearly all the books I’ve read of late have some sort of artistic ability. Nevertheless, I found the recounting of a modern day farmer’s lifestyle and struggles truly fascinating. Even more surprising, this book possesses a social conscious, bringing to light the very current hot button topic of illegal immigration. While I have always been akin to open boarders, it was nonetheless eye opening and thought provoking to see just how significant of an impact illegal workers have upon this country’s economy. Reading about the conflicts encountered by those who work in the agriculture industry made me feel an extreme gratitude for their hard labor and gave me a special appreciation for the earth as a whole. Sounds sort of lame I’m sure, but I think you’ll understand what I mean if and when you ever read the book. It’s an enjoyable coming of age tale.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All You Get Is Me.

message 1: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly This sounds like a book I'll enjoy. I like that it extends far beyond just the coming-of-an-age story but how it also brings to light other important societal issues of today. Wonderful review!