Bigyellowtaxi1's Reviews > Spider's Web

4992075
Jul 09, 11

bookshelves: agatha-christie, drama, crime
Read from July 04 to 06, 2011, read count: 1

Okay, I'll admit it... I picked this up without realising (until I got home) that this was a novelisation of the play and not the play itself. I'd very much like to read the play because I greatly enjoyed this and I'd love to read it in it's original form.

It still reads like a play, lots of dialogue, the vast majority of the action takes place in the drawing room. Even the descriptions of the characters actions read like stage directions. I like tht they haven't tried to alter the play too much from what I can tell, bearing in mind that I haven't read the play. But I don't think it would've impinged on the essence of the story if it'd been fleshed out a little more.

The murder plays second fiddle to comedy but I really don't care, it's more appropriate for a play. Christie wrote Spider's Web after an actress asked her to write her a comic role and in that respect this is 100% successful. Clarissa is a modern-day (well, modern-ish) Cassandra, fated to never be believed when she tells the truth. I thought she was a great character and the whole play really hangs upon her. I imagine that the actress playing her would make or break the play as a whole.

Concept and characterisation were spot on wonderful. Hilarious and clever, I utterly adored it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider's Web.

07/06/2011 page 33