Andrea's Reviews > Moonglass

Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Jul 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in June, 2011

When summer comes around, and I'm faced with yet another year that lacks vacation plans, I search for beach-themed books to help me escape to the ocean for a few days. I was scanning the bookshelves at a local bookstore, carefully trying to find the perfect book, when I stumbled upon Moonglass by Jessi Kirby. The cover made me feel tranquil, like I was at the beach. And that's all it took. I knew I had found what I was looking for.

Anna Ryan was only seven years old when her mother mysteriously drowned. She struggles daily with memories and confusion about that awful night. Worse, the distance between Anna and her father has been growing at a pretty steady pace ever since. When her dad takes a lifeguard job at a southern California beach, forcing Anna to move away from her home and friends, that distance only gets bigger.

Though she starts off as a loner, running the beach each morning (running away from her memories), Anna starts to form friendships and connections. She also meets and falls for Tyler, a lifeguard who has been warned that the boss's daughter is off limits, which makes dating a bit of a challenge.

She even finds herself combing the beach for seaglass, a hobby she once shared with her mother. They named the pieces they found at night moonglass.

But as Anna becomes comfortable with her surroundings and starts to accept her new life, she discovers painful secrets about her mother's past. The most surprising of all is that she's living on the very beach where her parents met and fell in love. The house next door? Her mother used to live there. It's hard to escape the past when she's confronted with it at every turn.

Anna wants answers, but her dad won't talk. So she and Tyler sneak around late at night, exploring the beach and its abandoned houses. With every step, she gets closer to her mother. And every answer she unearths stirs up a memories of the night her mother died. And Anna is angry.

Moonglass is a convincing first novel, complete with lovable characters, life-changing secrets and tragedies, and summer romance.

What I liked best was the first-person narrative. The descriptions were so lovely. And so realistic! I could picture the location, feel sand between my toes, smell the salty air, and hear the waves crashing on the shore. The writing was as beautiful as the cover.

Just like seaglass, the novel was a sparkling, unexpected treasure.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglass.