Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > A & L Do Summer

A & L Do Summer by Jan Blazanin

Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: own_arc, contemporary-realistic-ya, 2011
Read on July 01, 2011

A & L Do Summer by Jan Blazanin is definitely my kinda book. It is full of hillbilly-goodness and it is absolutely hysterical. Seriously, it isn’t gonna add any depth to your life – but it will make you laugh your butt off.

From pigs being accidentally set loose in a school to falling in pet-love with a chicken scheduled to be served up for dinner, this book delivers the originality.

Laurel is new to small town Iowa, but has become close with a native named Aspen. Aspen is determined to score them both spots in the popular crowd – which, in turn, should score them both boyfriends. But, as we know, these things never go according to plan. As they navigate through after-school jobs and drunken high school parties, disaster and embarrassment follow them everywhere. Also: things actually take a pretty sinister turn. You’ll be surprised by the level of violence they accidentally find themselves exposed to. I certainly was!

Anyway – bottom line. I loved Lauren, Aspen and all their crazy plans. This book was so much fun to read, I found myself laughing constantly. There isn’t a lot of plot or character development, and it definitely isn’t the kind of book you’ll be remembering a long time after finishing it. What it does deliver is a good time, and if you’re in the mood to laugh I definitely recommend dedicating a couple of hours to this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A & L Do Summer.

07/01/2011 page 288