Beth's Reviews > A Northern Light

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Aug 18, 11

Read from June 30 to July 03, 2011

"I know it is a bad thing to break a promise, but I think now that it is a worse thing to let a promise break you."

I've often wondered about what goes on in the lives surrounding a horrific tragedy. We get to know the victims story so very well through the newspaper and court records. What we don't know is what was it really like in that time period, era, location.

Jennifer Donnelly transported me to 1906 to the "North Woods" into the lives of the people and the reality they are faced with and the decisions they must make and the decisions they must live with.

Haunting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Northern Light.

Quotes Beth Liked

Jennifer Donnelly
“My father had put these things on the table.

I looked at him standing by the sink. He was washing his hands, splashing water on his face. My mamma left us. My brother, too. And now my feckless, reckless uncle had as well. My pa stayed, though. My pa always stayed.

I looked at him. And saw the sweat stains on his shirt. And his big, scarred hands. And his dirty, weary face. I remembered how, lying in my bed a few nights before, I had looked forward to showing him my uncle's money. To telling him I was leaving.

And I was so ashamed.”
Jennifer Donnelly, A Northern Light

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sheila Like!

Sheila Love the review - well said!