ElaineY's Reviews > Dirty Kiss

Dirty Kiss by Rhys Ford

May 15, 14

bookshelves: cops-sherrifs-p-i, mm, romantic-suspense, re-reading-now
Read from July 02 to 05, 2011

REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK, MAY 15, 2014: 3 stars
Narrator: Greg Tremblay

I'd forgotten the details, never read the sequels so listening this book was like my first time. On checking my review below, my thoughts about Cole hasn't changed much so no point repeating what's already there.

I also bought the sequel, Dirty Secret, in audio and intended to listen/read back to back but the sequel was disjointed at the start and I was momentarily lost. Not for long. Still, I've decided not to continue with the series as the unending tussle between the Korean MC and Cole got tiresome. I couldn't handle another book full of that.

The book isn't badly written (I gave 3.5 stars for the ebook) - I'm just not interested in the subject matter of Western vs Eastern family dynamics and the whole story revolved around this.

Narration: Tremblay did a good job. If not for him, I doubt I would have finished Dirty Kiss.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
REVIEW OF EBOOK, JULY 2014: 3.5 stars.

I was expecting something grittier and darker but DK turned out to be a much lighter read than it should have been. Perhaps I was in the mood for a more action-suspense oriented story but I found myself skipping most of the sex scenes to get to the investigation into Hyung-Shik's murder, into the dynamics of that family and Jae Min's involvement with them.

I feel that was a lot in this story that could have been exploited but which ended up as wallpaper. The whole Korean sex club scene, Korean culture - which the author merely used to express his own puzzlement over through the MC's voice; Cole Kenjiro McGinnis being half-Japanese - IMO it would have worked out better if he were fully Caucasian. An Asian, even half of one, would understand the Asian mindset concerning children and family even if they're westernized and would not follow the expectations of the older generation. But Cole is so clueless and stumped by this that he would have come off much better if he were fully Caucasian.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirty Kiss.

05/14/2014 marked as: currently-reading
05/15/2014 marked as: read 1 comment

ElaineY farmwifetwo wrote: "I'm really enjoying this one."

I've had the sequel on my TBR since it came out - no motivation to read it. I'll wait for your review on that one then decide.

ElaineY The audio of the second installment is already in the works so I expect the rest will follow. Then again, DSP hasn't always completed a whole series in audio so I dunno...

In any case, I won't start on the audiobooks until Book two's audio is released.