Ami's Reviews > Hammered

Hammered by Kevin Hearne

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: 5-stars_rating, urban-fantasy-with-male-protagonist
Read from July 06 to 08, 2011

Wow, just when I think it can't get any better, the 3rd book of the Iron Druid Chronicles raises the bar for the whole series and addresses some issues (minor complaint on my side) that I have for the previous two books. As other reviewers said, this one has a more tone, with grave consequences in which a couple of characters meet their demise.

The big plot here will be Atticus fulfilling his oath to his vampire friend, Leif, to help him kill Thor. Leif brings Gunnar (the pack Alpha) and three other parties who share the same hatred towards the Norse Thunder god: Perun, a Slavic thunder god; Väinämöinen, a shamanic culture hero of the ancient Finns; and Zhang Guo Lao, one of China’s Eight Immortals.

This journey ends with some losses and Atticus dealing in a more dangerous position than ever before in two millennia (not even when the Romans kill all Druids). Prophecy of his death are told by the Morrigan and Jesus (yes, THE Jesus), both warning Atticus that he will disrupt a lot of power change if he continues his mission. But promises are made and Atticus cannot back down.

For two books, my complain was how everything seems to end a little neat. Not this one, though. I cannot imagine the repercussion that Atticus must experience in the future. He has a lot of angry gods (or beings) chasing him. Plus the epilogue brings a big question about what else is going on.

The structure of this book is another one that gains a PLUS for me. Throughout the two books, the stories are all told from Atticus's side. This time, we get a "break" in the middle, where in the form of male-bonding, each party share their tales on why they are determined to get their revenge over Thor. This point-of-view switch is both powerful and a bit nostalgic. Especially now I know why Leif hates Thor so much.

There are still some funny quips and humor (like Atticus telling his squee over Neil Fucking Gaiman :p), though Oberon is not as present as in the previous two (and he is the funniest character here, I think). My most favorite probably when Jesus meets Atticus and share drinks. Who knows Jesus can be so funny *lol*

I’m grateful to you. I tell you truly, nobody ever wants to just hang out with me. If they’re not asking for explanations or intercession, then they’re sharing too much information. ‘Why, Jesus? Help me, Jesus! Oh, Jesus, that feels good, don’t stop!’

Overall, this book is a perfect set-up for the next trilogy coming in 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hammered.

07/06/2011
16.0% "definitely feels more serious than the previous two"
07/06/2011
60.0% "this book is just awesome"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lori K OK, I'm enjoying these but am confused as to why Atticus still "worships" "Gods" who seem only marginally stronger than he is, are awful to him, why he agrees to kill another God etc. Any thoughts other than that is what he is suppose to do?

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami Because he is basically an idiot? LOL. Sorry, not a good answer I know.