Joy (Cheery♡Reads)'s Reviews > Winter's Shadow

Winter's Shadow by M.J. Hearle

Jul 01, 2011

bookshelves: i-own, m-j-hearle
Read on September 19, 2011

How can you love a book so much and hate it so much as well with the same passion all the same time? That's what Winter's Shadow did to me and that means that it was that awesome. I got hooked from start to finish and could hardly put it down. My good friend had to pry me away from it. I won't go into all the details but just what I thought. The premise and plot were great; it was different and nothing that I had expected. I couldn't put my finger on what exactly Blake was. That was pretty good because the blurb on the cover didn't give anything away. I'm not going to compare it with Twilight or any other books out there either. It's irritating that every YA Paranormal Romances simply had to be compared alongside Twilight. C'mon, Twilight had its glorious moments. Move aside and make way for the new!

Back to review. The story had enough of mystery, creepiness and eeriness to arouse the solid and avid bookworm in me. There were many books that do not grip me from the beginning and after a few chapters in, I would simply cast them aside until the time comes when I would pick it up again. Winter's Shadow wasn't one of them. Congratulations, you are enlisted in my Book of Fame. I'm pretty generous with my reviews. *ahem*

Winter is a really beautiful name. I like Winter enough. She's a pretty strong character and nothing at all like Bella. Why would people say that she's like Bella, I have no effing idea. Bella is Bella. Winter is Winter. But, demerit points for her when she ditched Jasmine. Love is the greatest after all. Who can blame her. Blake is swoonworthy and NOT similar to Edward Cullen for pete's sake! There are two different characters. If people keep similarizing (if that's even a word!) beautiful, mysterious, self proclaimed dangerous male leads to Edward "Sparkling" Cullen, I think I would have already given up reading YA Paranormals. As Mr. Hearle has pointed in one of his blog post, all these similarizing traits and relationship angle thingies are simply frameworks with empty canvases. They are foundations and basic tools authors use to start painting the sceneries and transforming them into something of their very own. So, quit comparing this and other books to Twilight.

As much as I loved the story and the characters - bonus points for no hate-table characters -, I could fairly predict certain things (can't think of another word for "thing" at the moment) in the novel. I will not hint or reveal what they are here as I do not want to spoil the story for those haven't read it yet. Another thing that bothered me slightly was Winter and Blake's relationship. I felt that their time spent getting to know each other was not long enough to fully convince me (even Winter herself said so. See?). Maybe I should adjust my logicality mode into paranormal mode. Nothing is normal in books. They are supposed to be unearthly after all. That's what books are for - to me at least. But Mr. Hearle seems to know what I was thinking because I found a passage in the book that summed up perfectly what I was questioning:
"I don’t think time matters. You might have known each other for a hundred years or a minute and it wouldn’t have changed a thing about the way he felt about you. People go their whole life without finding something that special."

Other than that, I have no more complaints about Winter's Shadow. It is a tender, poignant and touching story that succeeded in invoking painful emotions within me. The ending tore at my heart and I felt like I could literally feel Winter's heartbreak. And that is why I hate this book so much. I hate the ending because I love the story too much to want it to end that way. It is so cruel to leave readers hanging like that. Very cruel indeed Mr. Hearle. *pouts*

I'm craving for the sequel, Winter's Light, but have to wait at least a whole freaking year for it to be released. If only I have some tiny hints to what is awaiting me in Winter's Light, I might be a tad comforted over my frustrations on the ending. I just refuse to accept what became of *him*. Arghh!!

And thus, I end my review and ramblings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Shadow.

Quotes Joy (Cheery♡Reads) Liked

M.J. Hearle
“At least she hadn’t bothered to put any mascara on this morning; otherwise, she
would certainly have serious panda eyes and look even more frightful.”

M.J. Hearle
“Why would you ever choose to die?’
‘Because a life with no end loses meaning. Death defines life.
One day, I hope to find a good reason to die.”

M.J. Hearle
“Yes, I call my scooter Jessie, and I don't think that's weird in the slightest."
(...) "Doesn't your truck have a name ?" she asked Blake with mock surprise.
"Sure. Toyota...”

09/19/2011 page 342
79.0% "Been staring at screen for hours reading nonstop. Taking a break. My poor eyes."