Malquiviades's Reviews > The Wind's Twelve Quarters

M 50x66
Aug 26, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Read in August, 2011

It was a long time since last time I read from Le Guin. Might be 20 years or so.
All I had was a remembrance of wellness and joy after reading some of her work, although hardly remember any of them (time's toll, I guess), not even the ones from Earthsea. From these ones, I do really remember parts of the first pages, though mostly the joyful sensation of expectation on what will the story be.

This book is a collection of short stories gathered from all along her career. They surely are a nice example of what I found in her books so many years ago. Although I liked some more than the others
(Field of Vision, Winter's King, Ones who walk away from Omelas, Word of Unbinding...), certainly as a whole is an extraordinary example of inspired imagination. And all of them stories are to be considered as a small piece of first-class of fantasy/SciFi narrative (sometimes it is difficult to tell them apart).

The foreword from Le Guin to each of the stories was also a nice surprise and helped me to understand not the story itself, but her inspiration and background when she wrote them. Surely a nice point to have.

Certainly, now I am keen to get hold of some of her books and reread again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind's Twelve Quarters.