holly quigley's Reviews > Wayfinder

Wayfinder by C.E. Murphy

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, romance
Read from September 15 to 21, 2011

Just in case you missed the other reviews as well as the summary for this book, Wayfinder is part 2 in C.E. Murphy's Worldwalker duology. And while Wayfinder opens with a pretty decent summary of everything that's happened up to that point, it would really be kind of ridiculous to not read Truthseeker before reading Wayfinder.

That said, I find myself with pretty much the same feelings for Wayfinder as I had for Truthseeker. I loved the worldbuilding in this pair of books, loved the fantasy plot, loved the secondary characters, but... the 'romance' fell really, really short. Which wouldn't be that big of a deal, except for the fact that the driving force behind Lara's actions was supposedly her feelings for Dafydd.

I just couldn't get behind the hero and heroine's feelings for each other. They were 'told' to me rather than showed, and because I couldn't really feel it for them, I just didn't really care for them as characters. I found myself being more drawn to Ioan and Aerin and even Lara's humans back home. Since this was my first time reading anything by this author, I'm left to believe that maybe romance just isn't Ms. Murphy's forte. I will be checking out her other books, however, because other than the critical apathy I felt for the heroine, I otherwise really enjoyed the writing and the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wayfinder.