Evanston Public Library's Reviews > What I Thought I Knew: A Memoir

What I Thought I Knew by Alice Eve Cohen

1975296
Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction

After a difficult divorce, playwright and performing artist Ann Eve Cohen is finally happy, caring for her eight year old adopted daughter and in a secure, committed relationship. Told at a young age that she would be unable to have children, she finds herself at the age of 44 shocked to find out that she is six months pregnant. With no prenatal care and after years of taking synthetic hormones, her pregnancy is a minefield: "A woman with no prenatal care for twenty-six weeks is a lousy insurance risk. To an obstetrician, she represents an expensive malpractice liability." What follows is a funny and touching account of her fears; will the baby be healthy after years of taking medication, can she care for a potential special needs child, is she ready to start all over again with an infant? Amid these fears, she considers abortion and giving up the baby for adoption however finally decides to keep the baby. What I Thought I Knew is a brutally honest real life account of a woman whose life is turned upside down, ultimately for the better.

Rika G.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Thought I Knew.