Evanston Public Library's Reviews > Split: A Memoir of Divorce

Split by Suzanne Finnamore

1975296
Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction

I think I may have a new favorite author. If there can be a funny memoir about an unwanted divorce, thenSplit is it. Author Suzanne Finnamore, dressed in black cigarette pants and her lips painted a perfect shade of red (Putting On Your Face is what her mother calls it, War Paint is how Finnamore sees it) waits eagerly in her kitchen for her husband N. to arrive home from work. After handing him a martini with two garlic stuffed olives, he tells her simply “I DESERVE HAPPINESS.”

With the help of a hilarious cast of characters; her free-spirited mother Bunny, supportive but wacky friends Lisa and Christian, and a man called the Betty Lady, the driver of Christian’s 1950s airstream trailer, Finnamore comes to accept and eventually embrace her split with N. and his new relationship with “The Thing Woman”. If you want to give Finnamore’s writing a try, I suggest you start with her books Otherwise Engaged and The Zygote Chronicles that follow her engagement to N. and their subsequent pregnancy. I discovered her after readingSplit and although I love her writing, it is a little depressing reading her first two books knowing what is coming in her third.

Rika G.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split.