♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Carnival of Souls

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: signed-by-author
Read from July 17 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

4.5 Stars

In Carnival of Souls, we have three POVs: Mallory, Kaleb and Aya.

Seventeen year old Mallory craves normal. She moves from town to town, always “the new girl” in school. She never has a chance to make close friends, or have a boyfriend, for that matter. This is because her adoptive father, Adam, is a witch on the run. He took something from the daimons long ago, and they want it back. Adam has always taught Mallory to be constantly on guard and prepared for a daimon attack. Although for all their running she has had yet to set one. These are the rules she lives by until she meets Kaleb. Mallory knows that whatever attraction she feels for him can never work because he’s a human, and she could never share her crazy world with him, putting him in danger as well. Also, she’ll probably be moving again soon, if the past is any indication. Little does Mallory know, Kaleb is far from human and he was sent to find her.

Kaleb lives in The City. It’s is a world apart from humans with a rigid caste system in place, and Kaleb is on the bottom rung. He is hired for his skills in “black mask” work, fighting and killing, and that’s why he’s been hired to find Mallory. He finds his duty tested when he starts to care for Mallory. In addition to the black mask jobs, Kaleb has also entered into a competition. The Carnival of Souls happens once in every generation, and gives any daimon that wins a chance to raise his caste, and join in the ruling class. The price could be your life as this is a fight-to-the-death situation. Kaleb yearns to improve his lot in life and that of his pack mate, Zevie, and is willing to risk everything to do it.

Aya, is a daimon in The City in the ruling class. Because of the future that is inevitable for a woman in her position, she enters into the competition as well. Otherwise, she’ll be married off and forced to breed. Aya has plans to rule and improve her world, and having this future forced onto her does not fit into the plan.

I felt a strong and immediate connection with Mallory and Kaleb, and I felt as if their concerns were my own. Mallory is so innocent in spite of her violent training. She strives to please her father and be the good obedient daughter. Adam, her father, is keeping many secrets from her which I found irritating but I know it was motivated by his love. The relationship between Mallory and Kaleb had shades of insta-love but I didn’t find this annoying at all. Kaleb has to be my favorite character by far. His loyalty and desire to protect the ones he loves while trying to improve their lives, is very touching. I didn’t have an immediate attraction to Aya but as her story is revealed I understood the reasons behind her actions and warmed to her considerably.

This story was so well-paced and fast moving, it sucks you in from the first pages. I was eager to turn the next page and find out the next revelation or plot twist. Melissa Marr has a talent of writing dark tales where the lines between good and bad are often blurred and the characters are usually a little of both. This was the case in Carnival of Souls. While we’re not left with a horrible cliffhanger, the story is far from over. I eagerly await the sequel and will be picking it up the first chance I get.

You can find this review and more at The Readers Den.
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnival of Souls.

07/17/2012 page 42
13.0% "Can't say that I like Aya at all right now. Very selfish thing to do." 1 comment
07/18/2012 page 110
34.0% "He stared into her eyes and promised, "I'm yours, Mallory." He didn't add that she was his, but she heard it all the same--and believed it." 7 comments

Mimi Valentine Oh my gosh!!! [insert a million more exclamation marks] I love Melissa Marr and I'm so pumped up to read this -- I really hope it's amazing! <3

♥Rachel♥ I see you have the same addiction to: !!!! that I do! I get a little excited and there's no stopping the !!!s <3

I just finished this, Mimi, and it was amazing!

message 3: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit I'm glad you enjoyed this one Rachel, having strong connections with characters always makes a book so much more for me. It's good to know the insta-love didn't bug you that much either! Lovely review! :)

message 4: by Hilda (new)

Hilda This book sounds amazing, Rachel! I love the way you describe this book -> 'This was a deliciously dark, magic filled tale of daimons and witches, and their hatred of each other.' Oh my wow, I think I need this book now! I agree, Melissa Marr does have talent of dancing in the line of bad and good! But somehow, you're just drawn into the dark world she creates. x)

AMAZING review, Rachel! :)

♥Rachel♥ @Jasprit, thank you. I wrote that this has like a whisper of insta-love but it really didn't feel that way to me and I think that's why it didn't bother me.

@Hilda-Thanks! I think Melissa Marr created a wonderful dark world and I hope you enjoy it when you pick it up.

@Sam-I think this one is right up your alley Sam. The paranormal aspects to this and the action are really going to appeal to you. I loved it more than her other series so I hope it works better for you to. Can't wait to see what you think.

message 6: by Dija (new)

Dija Great review, Rachel. I'm not a fan of Marr's writing style, but I'm seriously thinking about giving this a try. :)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Ooooh…This sounds fun and right up my alley! I have been meaning to try Marr. Wonderful review, Rachel! I like the sound of the dark feel and tone. I’m sold! :)

Bethany Great review! This sounds so good. I can't wait to read it!

message 9: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice I'm not much a fan of Melissa Marr's writing. I've read her first two books of Wicked Lovely and I really struggled reading it. But after your summary and review I'm willing to give this a try. You made it sounds so amazing and the characters seems really great too. Brilliant review, Rachel. :)

♥Rachel♥ Dija wrote: "Great review, Rachel. I'm not a fan of Marr's writing style, but I'm seriously thinking about giving this a try. :)"

Dija, this was really good. I totally recommend it and thanks. :)

♥Rachel♥ Eunice wrote: "I'm not much a fan of Melissa Marr's writing. I've read her first two books of Wicked Lovely and I really struggled reading it. But after your summary and review I'm willing to give this a try. You..."

Thank you Eunice. I think you'll like this. It's very different from her Wicked Lovely series. :)

♥Rachel♥ Laura wrote: "Ooooh…This sounds fun and right up my alley! I have been meaning to try Marr. Wonderful review, Rachel! I like the sound of the dark feel and tone. I’m sold! :)"

Wow I just saw this comment (that's what happens when you try to navigate GR on a phone!)

Thank you Laura! I wasn't expecting to like this one as much a I did. :)

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura No, I think GR is acting up today. I’m just starting to get notifications now. So I get to say “Hi” to you! Hey Lady! We have to smut gossip next week! :) Maybe we could hook up for a quick read along? :D

♥Rachel♥ That would be amazing! I think we all (you, me, Bethany, Jenn, Brandie) read this comic SMC. Maybe we could do something on our own? I miss the smut trio! ;)

message 15: by Giselle (new)

Giselle I wasn't a huge fan of Melissa's other series but this sounds really awesome!! Great review, Rach!

♥Rachel♥ I'm hearing that a lot, Giselle. This is pretty different from Wickedly Lovely, IMO. Hope you like it if you pick it up. Thanks Giselle! ;)

message 17: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jul 21, 2012 04:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ You've convinced me! I'm gonna try this one when it comes out!:)Amazing review!!

Amber Great review, Rach!! Looking forward to this one!

♥Rachel♥ Thank you ladies! I hope you like it now *bites nails nervously*! ;)

Amber ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Thank you ladies! I hope you like it now *bites nails nervously*! ;)"

No nail biting!! LOL ;p

Suzanne Great review Rachel. I had similar opinions on this one. Kaleb was my favourite, and after what happens with Belias at the beginning it took me a while to warm up to Aya, but by the end I really liked her. Even though there wasn't an actual cliffhanger, I felt like the book was only really starting to get going when it was almost finished. I found the storyline to be fairly slow, but I became invested in the characters almost immediately. I'm hoping the wait for the second book won't be too long

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Suzanne. Yeah, I wasn't real thrilled with Aya at the beginning because of what I "thought" she did. I understood her motives later and I'm really rooting for her and a certain someone in the next book. :)

Kelsey Oh my goodness i am loving this book so far and its all because of ur review thanks for the great review. :)

♥Rachel♥ Kelsey wrote: "Oh my goodness i am loving this book so far and its all because of ur review thanks for the great review. :)"

You're welcome! That's wonderful to hear. Can't wait to see what your final thoughts are. :)