Night's Reviews > The Mating

The Mating by Nicky Charles

4419208
Jun 30, 11

Read from June 27 to 30, 2011

I liked this book at first. It starts off a bit awkwardly, but draws you into the world of the werewolves nicely. Somewhere around the half-way point it totally loses it and becomes a bad Nancy Drew detective novel. The main character, Elise is so mind-numbingly stupid I wasn't sure I would be able to finish the book. Elise actually makes a list of all the things that have gone wrong, but still can't figure out what's going on. The hero is equally stupid. The ending is choppy and has even more stupidity and wacky hijinks that make no sense.

I assumed it was a young adult novel because the characters were so immature. There is absolutely no mystery since it's obvious from the beginning who is behind all of the bad things happening in the pack. The author drops clues like anvils all over the place. Not subtle.

I also found the way the women in the packs were treated and Elise's blind acceptance of it when she considers herself a "modern female" to be insulting. Bad behavior, and a near-rape are all blamed on her heat cycle, also very insulting.

If it wasn't for the graphic (yet horribly boring) sex, this would be a young adult novel, no question.

For a free book, it kept me entertained. No way would I pay money to read this.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mating.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by LaShonta (new) - added it

LaShonta I totally understand. I'm 22% in and already bored out of my skull with this. I don't even know if I will make it to the end.

Melisa I couldn't agree more.. I kept waiting for the book to get good.

Michele Faith I would have to agree - Elise was too stupid for me to enjoy the book as much as I could have. I've read all three, and the author clearly likes female characters that are weak, dim-witted and generally unable to function when a sexy man is around.

Vicki I found the dialogue really unrealistic and all the characters sounded the same. There was no difference between how the matriarch Helen and the Alpha Kane spoke. Their dialogue also told the reader too much which drove me nuts!

In addition to the formulaic dialogue, was the formulaic sex scenes- they all were the same and didn't really contribute to the relationship growth of the two main characters. This had the potential to be a good story, it just lacked subtlty and sophistication.