Abby's Reviews > Last Train to Paradise: Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad that Crossed an Ocean

Last Train to Paradise by Les Standiford

2036929
Jun 30, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

If you want to learn the history of Florida and, particularly, the monumental feat of building a railroad across the sea from Miami to Key West, this is your book. Standiford does well telling this story and bringing Henry Flagler, the man who turned Florida into a tourist mecca, to life. The book is also about a great hurricane that hit the Keys in the 1930s, but it's almost an afterthought. The real story here is about Flagler and the trials of building a railroad that no one thought possible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Train to Paradise.

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Gay I haven't read this yet. I'm a Florida native and was a resident for a long time, and I have to say that tourism is not a good way to build an economy, even if it's the end point. Florida suffers from being developed by greedy people, rather than being carefully planned for a growing population and a certain set of natural resources to sustainably exploit. But of course, who got that? Nobody.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Jul 02, 2011 08:51AM) (new)

Kate Thank you for the review. Another good read on the history of Florida is The Orchid Thief. It was wildly adapted into a movie Adaptation, which is really nothing like the book. The book talks about the history of the everglades, settlement, and orchids.

message 3: by Richard (last edited Aug 07, 2011 12:17PM) (new)

Richard Gay For Florida-based fiction, I recommend Carl Hiassen and Randy Wayne White.

Abby Have not started it yet, but I plan to explore some Florida resort politics in "The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise" by Michael Grunwald. Seems to be reviewed well here in Goodreads and at Amazon. Abby