Tatiana's Reviews > Keturah and Lord Death

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt

Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: national-book-award, ya, 2011, fairy-tales
Recommended to Tatiana by: Jillian -always aspiring-
Recommended for: fans of fairy tales similar to "Plain Kate"
Read from July 02 to 05, 2011

I have been such a Debbie Downer lately, moaning so much about lack of good books, that I completely forgot how much I enjoyed Keturah and Lord Death.

You know how some authors can infuse magic in their works using simple, everyday words? Their stories always have that fairy tale air about them. Robin McKinley is great at it, Laini Taylor, Erin Bow, Juliet Marillier. And so is Martine Leavitt.

Keturah and Lord Death is a simple enough novel with familiar fairy tale themes. 16-year old Keturah loses her way in a forest. After 3 days of wandering and hunger, she meets Lord Death who is there to take her life. Keturah, the smart maiden she is, uses her storytelling skills (akin to those of Scheherazade) to postpone her death under the condition that she has to find her true love.

The story is your pretty usual magical fare with kings, villages and witches, the ending is a no-brainer, but the writing itself is mesmerizing, spellbinding, and at the same time very, very simple. This is the kind of writing that, in spite of its simplicity, takes years and years to polish into a short and almost flawless story.

Keturah and Lord Death would have been a 5-star read for me if, like Plain Kate, the story itself was more mature and the romance more... passionate I guess. I need me some serious loving in fantasy, I can't help it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keturah and Lord Death.

07/02/2011 page 40
19.0% "Love the writing" 3 comments
07/04/2011 page 87
40.0% 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne Loved this in print and on audio. Hope you like.

message 2: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Gray Ditto on the print - hadn't considered listening to an audio version but it would probably be wonderful!

Camilla Schulte Very good review -- I agree entirely (well, except for the fact that I haven't read "Plain Kate" ... yet!)

Tatiana I recommend "Plain Kate" wholeheartedly, Camilla.

message 5: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan lol to the "serious loving in fantasy". I agree completely, although it always makes me feel like such a perv. You know, the writing is great, the characters well defined, the plot kept me guessing, but if only there was a little more somethin' somethin'... =)

message 6: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling I keep hearing good things about this one...

Tatiana Megan wrote: "lol to the "serious loving in fantasy". I agree completely, although it always makes me feel like such a perv. You know, the writing is great, the characters well defined, the plot kept me guessing..."

Yeah, especially when I look for it in a middle grade lit:)

message 8: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Didn't realize this was middle grade! Ah well, if an author is going to write a sweet romance, it's only natural to want more :)

message 9: by An Odd1 (new)

An Odd1 Thanks for the related authors. You start a serious lovin' shelf? I'm considering "explicit" for "mature".

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally I think less is more, life is R rated enough as it is. There is a movie about this book being funded for this book too. Although it'll probably be PG ;0) If you'd like to be a part of it go to: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1...