Tammy Ward's Reviews > The Sixthth Grade Nickname Game

The Sixthth Grade Nickname Game by Gordon Korman

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-books
Read on July 10, 2011

Cute story. I especially liked the character, Mr. Hughes. It's a contender for first read aloud. If only for the fact that the class decides to read more to improve their reading and pass the state reading assessment.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sixthth Grade Nickname Game.

07/10/2011 page 70

Timilyn I'm glad you liked it. It's not life changing, but I think it's a good intro to 6th grade. I'm trying to see if the first month's teaching points can be taught with it. It may not be "rich" enough, though. Thoughts?

Tammy Ward It's good. I'm torn between this and The Great Wall of Lucy Lu, another 6th grade book with a little more depth.

Are you saying, use Nicknames instead of Stone fox? If so, the answer would be yes! So far, there are very few teaching points that involve Stone Fox and nothing that couldn't apply to literally any book you pick up that day without much thought. So far, (I'm still reading) the teaching points that link to SF are connecting with text, re-telling stories, how to discuss books. Some of the mini-lessons don't involve SF at all.

Timilyn I'm glad to hear you say this. My copy of Nickname Game is at school, but I'm thinking similarly. I'd like to get it exactly though, to show others how it can be done. Tell me more about The Great Wall of Lucy Lu.

Tammy Ward Oops, I told you the wrong title. It's The Great Wall of Lucy Wu. You can find a good summary here on goodreads. In a nutsell, Lucy is entering 6th grade and has high expectations that it will be the best year ever. There's also all the typical 6th grade factors: best friend, bully, first crush etc. I liked that she had a relationship with her family. This book is a little more about self-discovery and learning to be who you are. The only reason I may not make it my first read aloud is that the main character is a girl.