Maria's Reviews > Ender's Shadow

Jun 30, 2011

bookshelves: ya, books-i-own, recommended
Recommended to Maria by: Rollie
Read from January 22 to February 09, 2012

I recommend Ender's Shadow.

*****

I cannot believe it's been five months since I read Ender's Shadow and I have yet to write its review like, right now. It's not as much as I could not put my coherent thoughts in place, but perhaps it is hard to give justice to the brilliance of Ender's and Bean's story.

Bean is a freakin' genius. In Ender's Game, he wasn't much of a favorite because he barely registered in my radar while reading it. Imagine me getting a little surprised that a parallel book was written for Bean's story. I asked myself, then: is he really that strong a character that he needs a book on his own? I dunno. But reading Ender's Shadow was worth the doubt.

I just find Bean too good to be true. You know? I mean, I know I will always be an Ender Wiggins fan. This book said that Bean is almost an equal to Ender, but to me? No, not really. Ender is far more human in the aspects of guilt, remorse, and conscience. And for that, he has more edge than Bean. I thought Bean's character too technical and too perfect for my taste in heroes. Still, he captivated me with the raw innocence he unknowingly has because of the decisions of the adults before his time.

Ender's Shadow is a terrific companion novel of Ender's Game. It brought me back to the viciousness of battle school. I believe I will be a completist of the Ender (and Shadow) series. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Shadow.

01/22/2012 page 58
01/23/2012 page 163
35.0% 5 comments
01/30/2012 page 179
38.0% "struggling with Bean's rather articulate technical analysis of the air vents. ugh."
02/08/2012 page 338
72.0% "i will finish reading you today!"
02/08/2012 page 359
77.0% "Right on, Bean!"
02/09/2012 page 413
88.0% "Konti na lang!"
02/09/2012 page 469
100.0% "*big grin*"
show 5 hidden updates…

Rollie WHEN are YOU going to read this EXTRAORDINARY Book? :D

Maria Yeah, yeah. before GR-TFG Christmas party, i'll be done with this. :)

Rollie BTW, bout the party. Please don't let me allow the talking during the games. :)

Maria LOL. got it, boss.

Kwesi 章英狮 Ender's FTW!

Rollie More like his intelligence is too good to be cogent. What makes me love Bean is aside of his brain power, he knows his limitation and so his flaws. Though he can't kill bad people, he knows how to terminate them out of his way without letting his hands get dirty. Yes, I love his emotional innocence. ;)

Maria Though he can't kill bad people, he knows how to terminate them out of his way without letting his hands get dirty.

but that doesn't mean he's free of the guilt. :) But.. Yay for Bean!

Maria Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "Ender's FTW!"

FTW!

Rollie At least he knows that there is an authority when it comes to that. :D

Maria Rollie wrote: "At least he knows that there is an authority when it comes to that. :D"

still not free of the guilt. =P

Rollie Why would be guilty? :D