Laura's Reviews > The Queen of Cool

The Queen of Cool by Cecil Castellucci

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: cursing, alcohol, animals, dorks-nerds-underdogs, family, fiction-realistic, friendship, sex, teen
Read in July, 2011

I bumped this book up to the top of my to-read list because of a recent complaint from a library patron. She confiscated it from her 13-year-old because it has a hand job and the word f--k 3 times in the first few chapters. But other than that, I found this book pretty tame compared to what else is out there for the YA set. There's no explicit descriptions of sexual acts, just references to them, and the f-word doesn't show up again until almost the end of the book. The book's plot centers around a teenage "cool" girl who starts to realize that it's much more cool to be passionate about something, rather than be blase about everything. She ends up seeking out her interests (even though they might be "uncool") and ditching her boring, predictable friends.

So even though there is some controversial material here, I think the book's message of following your passion trumps the light sprinkling of curse words and hand jobs. I would still recommend it for 9th grade and up.

Still, it led me to create a "cursing" shelf, on which I will place books with anything above the ass/bitch/damn/piss level.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Cool.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael OMG, this book title was also my nickname in high school!