Anita's Reviews > Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time

Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi

Jul 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, swap-out
Read from June 30 to July 15, 2011

I'm not sure why I read this book. I don't have much of a desire to expand my network. Ferrazzi acts as though there is nothing greater than a large network. Frankly, I don't have the same type of ambition.
This book suffers from what many books of this sort do - a subject that could just as easily be covered in a ten-page article. In fact, once the "build your network" lecture is over, the book devolves into self-help filler about succeeding in one's career. Blah.
Ferrazzi spends a great deal of time reminding the reader to be "sincere" and "open". But I don't get that vibe from him. I recently saw Ferrazzi give a speech, which covered many of the highlights of this book. He gave a decent lecture, but you don't need to both read his book and listen to his speech. He didn't convince me that I'd even want to be friends with him.
Toward the end of the book, he says " what could be more important than meeting like-minded professionals?" Um, really? Is it not obvious? And is balance really BS, as one of his chapters argues?
If this is a subject you are seeking out, this book does contain some decent tips, especially in the first half. Plus, you could certainly learn from the author's mistakes, which he recounts in several anecdotes. Also, it could help give you the confidence you need to act, especially if you think you are letting opportunities pass you by. But, if you are only going to read one book on this subject, go back to the classic "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Eat Alone.